reheating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoEzzy

Senior Cook
The ones I have had in the past are between 5 - 8 lbs cooked weight, so you have 15 - 24 portions @ 5.33 Oz / portion or 20 - 32 portions @ 4 Oz / portion.

At that you are going to need 4 - 6 turkey breasts depending on weight.

Smoke them to 160 internal, (roughly 45 - 50 minutes per lb) take them off at that, rest them, then allow to cool to 70 then wrap in foil, and chill to below 40 as quickly as possible to reduce the time in the 140 - 40 danger zone.

Don't forget it will be back in the danger zone while reheating, so keep the exposure to a minimum if possible.

Allow the pit - oven to get up to at least 275 - 300 for reheating, (to reduce time reheating in the danger zone), put the foiled breasts in and reheat to above 140 in the breast.

Don't forget to brine them 10 - 16 hour, (you can go up to 24 but I don't like them that salty), and don't forget that the smoke flavor will intensify in the turkey breast while in the fridge for 24 hours.

Cook your pork to 195 - 205 rest it for 1 hour then pull them all, save the juice from your drip pans and foil to add back to deep foil pans, fill the pans add the strained saved juice mixed with apple juice 50/50, allow to cool to 70 in thin layers or pack in thin amounts in Ziplock bags and pack it on ice to chill quickly below 70, the refridgerate tightly lidded with foil.

Reheat the pulled pork to 155 +, unlid the foil pans and unwrap the turkey breasts, don't reheat the turkey much past 140 or you risk drying it out even with brining.

Brian either brine the breasts or buy enhanced breasts, they both will work fine. Just don't brine the enhanced breasts. Cook them to 160*, cool and removed the whole lobes from the bone and vacuum seal. If you're doing these more than a couple days in advance, freeze them and them and then the day before you want to serve them put them in the fridge to start thawing. Then reheat in boiling water (turkey fryer pots work perfect) until you get an internal temp of 160*. Slice and place in chaffing pans with a "little" chicken broth and butter mix, not much, just enough to help keep moist while serving. I would also suggest you reheating the pork the same way minus the broth and butter. It's easy and will not mess up the integrity or flavor of either meat.

FWIW, I did a graduation party last year for 100 and cooked 1 case (8-butts) and had more than enough meat.

Well Brian it depends, are these for sandwiches and what other food is being served.The portions for plated food is higher. If this is the only meat for a mixed crowd I'd serve about 1/3 pound per person for sandwiches or 40# cooked rounded up. Five butts will put you in the ball park for pork and 6 turkeys will be close for that portion.

To cook and reheat the turkeys I'd cook them in foil pans with chicken stock and maybe some onions, carrots and celery. Cook at 300* for around 2 hours till about 140* internal. Remove the breast meat and simmer all the smoke stock, veggies and the bones. Chill the breast in the foil pans, on ice in a cooler. After chilled I'd slice, and pour the strained stock over the meat and freeze. It's east to reheat in oven till it reaches 160* You can also vac seal and heat in water. The meat should stay juicy and not be over cooked. The stock has a ton of flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom