Pre cooking meat ribs, butts & shoulders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

estewart

Assistant Cook
When cooking it is usually between 50-200 people just depends. As does the meat could be butts for slicing shoulders & fresh hams for pulled pork and or ribs & chicken
We usually cook the meat the day of the event
Which as you all know means me & my buddy are up way longer then we need to be the day of events
My cooking partner and I have often talked about pre cooking the meat but just too scared I guess. Any thoughts and or ideas would be helpful. We are planning a guiney pig cook of pre cooked meat would just like some ideas

Yes precooking works well on near all the big meats. Now I do not appreciate the flavor of leftover ribs or chicken..steaks..fish..aardvark etc. I would cook that up fresh and time it to stay hot in an ice chest or cambrio till it was time to eat.

bigwheel

Thanks For the response I believe its time to plan for a pre-cook bbq
I think we will try a pre cooked & frozen shoulder & fresh ham for pulled pork
I will need to start working on how long ribs & chicken can be kept
In the safe zone in a cooler I haven’t put a cambrio in the budget yet
After this I will work on a frozen butt reheated or kept in the safe zone and sliced Thanks again

Glad to help. Have held briskets, butts, chickens, turkeys ribs etc. for 5 or 6 hrs and it still be too hot to handle when they are ready to serve. Not sure whut is the max time. Know some depends on your ice chest and how often you peek at it. A cheap thick Styrofoam chest (aka Omaha Steaks shipping container) as can be purchased at Academy Sports for around 10 bucks will hold the heat longer than the high dollar plastic/metal models.

bigwheel

I pre-cook meat often for large catering events, sometime weeks before. You can vacuum seal just about anything and pre-cooked meat will still be of high quality when you serve it to your guests. Pre-cooking a day or two before an event would not require freezing, but rather reheating on the smoker or even in an oven.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Yup, That's the only way to go. If reheated right, I defy any one to tell difference from the reheated to off the pit.

I disagree. I think it's better the next day, or when ever it reheated. :D Right off the pit is nice, but I'll take a bag of PP that has been vac sealed and frozen for 3 months over fresh PP. Just tastes better to us.

BigAL said:
Yup, That's the only way to go. If reheated right, I defy any one to tell difference from the reheated to off the pit.

I disagree. I think it's better the next day, or when ever it reheated. :D Right off the pit is nice, but I'll take a bag of PP that has been vac sealed and frozen for 3 months over fresh PP. Just tastes better to us.
Ummm..... Al, what do you disagree with? Ya lost me, :? and I have had only one beer. ;)

BigAL said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":2j1woqnw]Yup, That's the only way to go. If reheated right, I defy any one to tell difference from the reheated to off the pit.

Ummm..... Al, what do you disagree with? Ya lost me, :? and I have had only one beer. ;)[/quote:2j1woqnw]

Just mess'n w/ya Pig. All joke'n. Stupid joke, I know. :oops: Sorry about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom