OK.....my first cash and carry cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Screamin Nite Hog said:
How many people will a 5 to 6 lb butt feed? I am thinking around 10 to 12 people. How many people will a 12 to 14 lb brisket feed? I am going to slice the flat and chop the point for them. These are questions I want to make sure I can answer. I know some people that have already placed orders with me are going to have friends and family over to their place after picking up the items.

Figure about 60% yield of cooked meat from whatever sized butt you are cooking. If you're doing 2 meats figure 4oz pulled pork per person and about the same for the brisket after trimming. Alot will also depend on the type of crowd you are feeding.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Screamin Nite Hog":1sve3oll]How many people will a 5 to 6 lb butt feed? I am thinking around 10 to 12 people. How many people will a 12 to 14 lb brisket feed? I am going to slice the flat and chop the point for them. These are questions I want to make sure I can answer. I know some people that have already placed orders with me are going to have friends and family over to their place after picking up the items.

Figure about 60% yield of cooked meat from whatever sized butt you are cooking. If you're doing 2 meats figure 4oz pulled pork per person and about the same for the brisket after trimming. Alot will also depend on the type of crowd you are feeding.[/quote:1sve3oll]

I have never gotten better than 55% yield on butts... but i do agree with Larry.. 1/4 lb per person cooked if you are serving 2 meats. And yes.. what is your crowd?

Gary in VA said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":336yvfto][quote="Screamin Nite Hog":336yvfto]How many people will a 5 to 6 lb butt feed? I am thinking around 10 to 12 people. How many people will a 12 to 14 lb brisket feed? I am going to slice the flat and chop the point for them. These are questions I want to make sure I can answer. I know some people that have already placed orders with me are going to have friends and family over to their place after picking up the items.

Figure about 60% yield of cooked meat from whatever sized butt you are cooking. If you're doing 2 meats figure 4oz pulled pork per person and about the same for the brisket after trimming. Alot will also depend on the type of crowd you are feeding.[/quote:336yvfto]

I have never gotten better than 55% yield on butts... but i do agree with Larry.. 1/4 lb per person cooked if you are serving 2 meats. And yes.. what is your crowd?[/quote:336yvfto]

That's cuz you eat half of them while you're pulling!! 8-[

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Gary in VA":36wh7g0j][quote="Larry Wolfe":36wh7g0j][quote="Screamin Nite Hog":36wh7g0j]How many people will a 5 to 6 lb butt feed? I am thinking around 10 to 12 people. How many people will a 12 to 14 lb brisket feed? I am going to slice the flat and chop the point for them. These are questions I want to make sure I can answer. I know some people that have already placed orders with me are going to have friends and family over to their place after picking up the items.

Figure about 60% yield of cooked meat from whatever sized butt you are cooking. If you're doing 2 meats figure 4oz pulled pork per person and about the same for the brisket after trimming. Alot will also depend on the type of crowd you are feeding.[/quote:36wh7g0j]

I have never gotten better than 55% yield on butts... but i do agree with Larry.. 1/4 lb per person cooked if you are serving 2 meats. And yes.. what is your crowd?[/quote:36wh7g0j]

That's cuz you eat half of them while you're pulling!! 8-[[/quote:36wh7g0j]
LOL! I'm sure everyone's mileage will vary but I usually get closer to 50% myself. I'm sure it depends on what you're cooking on, what temperature you're cooking to, what temperature you're cooking at and what the hog was raised on.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Gary in VA":1c51u65y][quote="Larry Wolfe":1c51u65y][quote="Screamin Nite Hog":1c51u65y]How many people will a 5 to 6 lb butt feed? I am thinking around 10 to 12 people. How many people will a 12 to 14 lb brisket feed? I am going to slice the flat and chop the point for them. These are questions I want to make sure I can answer. I know some people that have already placed orders with me are going to have friends and family over to their place after picking up the items.

Figure about 60% yield of cooked meat from whatever sized butt you are cooking. If you're doing 2 meats figure 4oz pulled pork per person and about the same for the brisket after trimming. Alot will also depend on the type of crowd you are feeding.[/quote:1c51u65y]

I have never gotten better than 55% yield on butts... but i do agree with Larry.. 1/4 lb per person cooked if you are serving 2 meats. And yes.. what is your crowd?[/quote:1c51u65y]

That's cuz you eat half of them while you're pulling!! 8-[[/quote:1c51u65y]

Actually.. that would be the Wife....

Gary in VA said:
That's cuz you eat half of them while you're pulling!! 8-[

Actually.. that would be the Wife....[/quote]

Yeah, I bet she is hungry after doing all the yard work and all! :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Gary in VA":1imhe97z]That's cuz you eat half of them while you're pulling!! 8-[

Actually.. that would be the Wife....[/quote:1imhe97z]

Yeah, I bet she is hungry after doing all the yard work and all! :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao: :lcry: :lmao:[/quote]

Yep... you is just jealous.. cause I am the KING of my castle!!!

8-[ she didn't hear that did she ? 8-[

Screamin Nite Hog said:
How many people will a 5 to 6 lb butt feed? I am thinking around 10 to 12 people. How many people will a 12 to 14 lb brisket feed? I am going to slice the flat and chop the point for them. These are questions I want to make sure I can answer. I know some people that have already placed orders with me are going to have friends and family over to their place after picking up the items.

Charlie, I usually figure around 12-15 sammies per butt cooked and 20+ on the briskets. Its a safe bet that way. Good luck my amigo.

I figure a 50% yield on Butts. Usually get a little more but I'd rather have more than less. A 4oz portion should cover your white bun :!: I have a hard time getting that much PP to fit in the bun, especially if it's topped with coleslaw.

Screamin Nite Hog said:
Thanks everyone for the information.........looks like it may be a good day when I cook. I faxed some order forms out to people that I know and have eaten some of our cooking. The order forms are coming back in faster and with more meat ordered than I expected.

THANKS ALL

That is the best way to get your name and your Q out there. Careful or you will find yourself chopping/pulling for HOURS... Then after doing that a couple of times.. you will be selective on how many people you notify that you are cooking.!!!

How much you chargin per pound?? or butt?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom