Need Ideas for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woodman said:
Ya'll might eat that cornbread in the south, but it is usually that "sweet" stuff that tastes like birthday cake!!! I gotta say, I don't usually pair cornbread with BBQ. I love it with chili though!!!

We put sugar in the cornbread only when yankees are comming to supper! :LOL:

Well not sure a person even have to leave the country to find funny eating habits. You know over in E. Texas they is rumored to eat "grits" and that sweet birthday cake cornbread which Woody mentioned. Gag heave sputter. They also cook bbq with Pine wood. I seen that personally one time.

bigwheel

Unity said:
bigwheel said:
Now I cant figger out why anybody want to eat cornbread with bbq. Talk about two incompatable food groups..that be like Vanilla ice cream with sour kraut on top. Who can know the mind of the brethern from the North:)
You need to get out of the Lone Star State and visit some Q joints in the other South. Lots of cornbread over there east of y'all.

--John

ronbeaux50 said:
I guess my favorite all time sides is to make corn bread and crumble it in a tall glass then pour in some buttermilk and a dash of honey. And it looks good enough to count for desert!!

Yeah Buddy!!

I will put my two cents in on the catering question. Whats wrong with potato chips and dip, its cheap and you can get enough for everyone, even a wide variety :D

Just kiddin, it seems like they have been providing quite a few good choices. What ever you do I'm sure it will turn out good for all.

I think I am going to make a classic Texas-Mex BBQ type meal. Brisket, sausage, beans"pinto",Rice"Spanish" ,Slaw"Cappy's", White Bread, fixins... I am going to charge a few dollars less than I paid for everything and let them serve it. The wedding is going to be in Odem, Texas. What yall think? I should have the new WSM to make many briskets by then. thanks again for all the wonderful ideas. Big Wheel, I saw a Javelina on the highway the other day. I almost stopped to pick it up since it's cold outside and it should be good road kill...

I just want to make sure I read you last post correctly, Sapo...did you say you are going to charge them LESS than what you paid?

surfinsapo said:
I think I am going to make a classic Texas-Mex BBQ type meal. Brisket, sausage, beans"pinto",Rice"Spanish" ,Slaw"Cappy's", White Bread, fixins... I am going to charge a few dollars less than I paid for everything and let them serve it. The wedding is going to be in Odem, Texas. What yall think? I should have the new WSM to make many briskets by then. thanks again for all the wonderful ideas. Big Wheel, I saw a Javelina on the highway the other day. I almost stopped to pick it up since it's cold outside and it should be good road kill...

Sounds good! Hey check out the Q-fest photos on the Texas Site. We saw a HUGE javalina that was still warm with blood running from its nose. It had to go 300 lbs. I wouldn't let them load the bloody thing into my rental though! Texlaw and Redneck Cooker took photo's with him!

Greg Rempe said:
I just want to make sure I read you last post correctly, Sapo...did you say you are going to charge them LESS than what you paid?
Yes. Free labor. Then say I pay $200.00 for the food I am only going to charge $150.00 since it's my coworkers daughter that is getting married. It's going to be me and my wifes gift to them even though my wife doesn't have to do a thing. Why is it always like that? Tis the Season to be jolly!!!

Yeppers...have to triple ditto the positive sentiments about the cornbread and buttermilk ambrosia with chunks. Now I aint never heard of putting honey in it. Must be some kind of yankee deal they do up around Amarillo. Everybody know the Good Lord intended cornbread and buttermilk to be heavily invested with black peppa and a little Medeterrainian Sea Salt (we is salt snobs nowadays of course:) Hopefully the fella with the honey habit see the light one of these days.

bigwheel

Woodman said:
Yep, wet bread and buttermilk, two of my favoritist things!!!

Well it looks purty good in print but afeered you contemplating committing a big S. Texas foo paw mi amigo. Rice and beans supposed to only be served with stuff like enchiladas..tamales..fajitas..carne guisada etc. It aint made to bbq cuz it will fall through the grates. Soulution to the problemo is real obvious. Make up a couple of big old pans of cheese and onyawn enchiladas to go with...or even mo betta..and a lot easier.. a big old simmering pot of Carne Guisada. Now you talking Tex-Mex. Should cut way back on them wanting brisket. Know where I would head if I was invited to the party. Too bad you didnt grab that Collard Peccary. Time to make tamales ya know?

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:

Yeah, I was thinkin of carne guisada too.. It's easy for foilks without teeth to eat too.. Is that why you like it so much? ;)

Well know I got mo than two teeth. Just because I got kin who is Arkies doesn't mean I am lacking in chewing abilities. Fact is I could chew the horns off a billy goat if thats all there was to eat. I just have to swallow the chunks a little mo bigga. Now if you need some lessons on how to cook Carne Guisada..give me a holler. I got the januine version which come direct from the King Ranch and has been tweaked up propa over the past 35 years or so. The recipe is free by email of course..I just charge 5 bucks for shipping and handling...which all the proceeds goes to charity. Let me know.

bigwheel

PS..For another fiver I teach you how to make flour taurpolians on the breach moochine. Replaces 5 big coolaed mamacitas from whut I can figger out.

Back
Top Bottom