My head is spinning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Ok, I just got a call from a local BMW dealer. Seems they want lunch catered for 40 people. Their budget is $5.00 per person :shock: ......... They need plates and utencils too. I told them i'll try to work on somthin' to see if we can get some people fed, but I don't think I could do a plate without losin' out.

they requested :

1 meat
sauce
2 sides
plates
utencils
Napkins

I'd really like to help out but holy crap. $5.00 per plate? I'm not sure it can be done.

Maybe if I add a pitmaster + shipping and prep fee I could make up for it? :roll:

Tell them to buy a couple tubs of Lloyds BBQ if they want it for that price. If you really want to do it, I wouldn't do it for less than $10 per person, but more realistically I'd charge $12.50. I have this new rub that contains synonym and allspice, it's expensive. But I haven't heard of Ray Lampe, so who am I?

All seriousness, don't do it for less than $10 a head.

I forgot to mention it would be a drop and run.......(I said catering oops).

I hear you loud and clear Larry. I was gonna ask $9 bottom line but the girl really stressed "we have a strict $5 per person budget". At first I was kind of offended. It would be a quick easy $50 but is it worth it? Im not sure.

Another concern of mine is, Will I be setting myself up for problems in the future?

Tell them cheap moochin unwashed bastids to go eat cake. Paraphrasing great great granny Marie Antoinette of course. Wee wee monsewer? I would not touch it for less that 12.50 per capita. That would be with one side which would be Bush's beans. Maybe a few tater chips for the other side.

Goober

Goober said:
Tell them cheap moochin unwashed bastids to go eat cake. Paraphrasing great great granny Marie Antoinette of course. Wee wee monsewer? I would not touch it for less that 12.50 per capita. That would be with one side which would be Bush's beans. Maybe a few tater chips for the other side.

Goober

Goober, are you related to Bigwheel?

Nick Prochilo said:
Goober said:

Goober

Goober, are you related to Bigwheel?

I swear I was gonna ask the same thing. lol

As for the KIA comment. I know. I thought the same thing. This is a company who makes millions annually if not alot more and they have a budget of $5 bucks per head for their employees? I don't want to get into bashing car salesman. It's too easy to do and i'm sure everyone here could/ would chime in.

12 lbs pulled pork $30 (stress 1 sammie per person)
2 #10 cans beans $10
4 bags cheep chips $10
sauce $5
plates, utensils, nap $10

no drinks, no dessert

total cost = $65

40 ppl X 5.00 = $200 Profit = $135

is $135 worth your time and effort to take it to them and say "this is a one shot deal! (a teaser) Next time it will be twice the price but with slaw and/or pot salad, and dessert"

12 lbs pulled pork $30
2 #10 cans beans $10
slaw $20
pot. salad $20
sauce $5
plates, utensils, nap $10
dessert $25

no drinks

total cost = $120

40 ppl X 10.00 = $400 Profit = $280

still small potatoes, but could be more. Drop and go is good, but it is small change most of the time. BUT it does lead to bigger things sometimes. Just a thought. Small groups are a pain, Yes, and you don't tend to make much, but sometimes there is someone in the group that is planning a big family get-together, or a wedding, or whatever and says, "Damn man, that was great, my so in so is getting married and they want BBQ." It does happen and small things lead to big things. Just make sure they know that they are getting a "teaser" deal and it is a one shot thing.

disclaimer: above costs are estimates only

Thanks Gary.

Seein how I don't have a job my wife said I should just do it for the exposure and what Gary said about "someone there might be planning an event" for the future. I sent them a quote for Smoked sausage, Sauce, Chips and a pickle. No drinks. It oughtta work out to be real close to the Pulled Pork quote. We'll see if they call me back.

Well it sorta like the old physical law of inertia. Which is a body in motion tends to stay in motion till acted on by other forces. Meaning if you start out cheap its gonna be hard to all of a sudden jump up and start charging folks whut it's worth. Charge the snot of everybody and stick with the program.

Goober

Goober said:
Well it sorta like the old physical law of inertia. Which is a body in motion tends to stay in motion till acted on by other forces. Meaning if you start out cheap its gonna be hard to all of a sudden jump up and start charging folks whut it's worth. Charge the snot of everybody and stick with the program.

Goober
That's excellent advice! I'm Nick and I approve this message! Better to have 1 job for $10 / head than 10 jobs for $1 / head!

Nick Prochilo said:
Goober said:

Goober
That's excellent advice! I'm Nick and I approve this message! Better to have 1 job for $10 / head than 10 jobs for $1 / head!

I agree.

Aparently you missed the part where I said
"since I dont have a job and the wife said etc. etc. etc......" hahaha :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This won't be a recurring event. Thanks for the input. :D

dollarbill said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Goober said:

Goober

I agree.

"since I dont have a job and the wife said etc. etc. etc......" hahaha :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The problem that can come up is when whoever you contracted with starts telling everybody at the party how much you charged. I understand the "don't have a job" part but be careful this doesn't come back to bite you in the ass. Tell whoever you contract with to keep his mouth shut about price and don't ever let them know that you are desperate or they will eat you up!

Nick Prochilo said:
dollarbill said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1bclxyfu]
Goober said:

Goober

I agree.

The problem that can come up is when whoever you contracted with starts telling everybody at the party how much you charged. I understand the "don't have a job" part but be careful this doesn't come back to bite you in the ass. Tell whoever you contract with to keep his mouth shut about price and don't ever let them know that you are desperate or they will eat you up![/quote:1bclxyfu]

I hear you Nick....Im not as desparate as I am bored.... The wife has a good job and is in the middle of a promotion. Woo Hoo. :D Now if I can find the secret to make the phone ring for catering gigs then i'll be doing what I love to do.

I feel your head spinning
I see some problems
I see problems as challenges which causes more head spinning
I have closed my BBQ restaurant so in my wife's eyes I am enemployed.

Problem 1: the job is to feed 40 employees of a BMW dealership
--Cooking for 40 people is just as much work as cooking for 100 people
--If there is 2.50 profit ( 50 %) then you can make 2.50 x 40 =$100.00
Problem 2: Caterer is worried about getting a reputation as a "Lowend-Lowball" caterer
--I have cooked for several car dealerships over the years. Car dealers do not share information like this. In fact--if
they think that they got a good deal--they will keep it "their secret" for future
Problem 3 : Caterer sees possibility of future jobs due to exposure from this job
-- I have never received any referrals in 20 years from a drop off meal--especially a "low end" meal. I have had many
repeat customers from drop off meals--usually pharmacueutical Companies, etc
Problem 4 : Who gets served and How Much??
---It is not your problem right?? Yes it is your problem---no body cares who the caterer is until the food runs out. You are creating
a minimal-low dollar meal and feeding car salesmen that make money by stabbing each other in the back. If the food is set out and
not attended there WILL be a problem. I have seen it first hand. The first to arrive have no consideration about the people that
follow-- they are eating FREE and looking at food and complaining about their cheap ass boss---so they grudge f**k the boss by
eating as much as they can. Guess where this leaves you? You are the worthless caterer that tried to a car dealership a favor
and got badmouthed all over town because there was no "CONTROL" in the food line.

Answers: Problem 1 is easy---Find a meal that will fit the price--let them know that you do not like it--do not be a jerk---ask them how far that $5.00 will go at MacDonalds. Tell them that you have spent long hours finding them a meal that will fit their budget.

Problem 2: Do not worry about Problem 2---it just creates more head-spinning

Problem 3: Problem 3 is not a problem if one thing is changed----This will sound wrong---but this event is not going to be a money-maker---so bite the bullet and cook this on-site----Dog and Pony shows get results and referrals. Act like you are making millions---be proud--show off equipment --shake hands---pass out business cards.

Problem 4 is the biggest problem---if you are onsite the problem goes away. Ask the emplyer what exactly each employee is ENTITELED to eat. Post a sign what each person in line is entitled to---this will cause peer-pressure to the inconsiderate pigs that take it all. People must have rules---people being fed by their employer have a FALSE SENSE of ENTITLEMENT. DO NOT let this become a problem or it will kill you before any of the other problems

The fact that you are considering this job tells me that you are new at catering---I encourage you--take the job--turn it into something good
Make new contacts, new contacts, did I saw new contacts. When people in your community saw "BBQ" make sure that your name is mentioned.

Listen to the folks that won't cook unless they can make a couple thousand dollars to show up. Make friends with them---they may cast off a job to you that is worth a mere thousand.

Remember that the "Little Shot" became a "Big Shot" because he kept on shooting.

Catering and Vending are the only 2 forms of gambling that are allowed in all 50 states
Good luck gamblin

lol, Chuck Wagon just dropped a knowledge bomb. For a drop and go at that
price, I would give them their money's worth and keep your name out of the deal.
The only guy who knows who you are is the guy hiring you.
Drop off beans and weenies, get your check and don't worry about it.
His cheap ass ain't gonna ruin any future business for you.

Captain Morgan said:
lol, Chuck Wagon just dropped a knowledge bomb. For a drop and go at that
price, I would give them their money's worth and keep your name out of the deal.
The only guy who knows who you are is the guy hiring you.
Drop off beans and weenies, get your check and don't worry about it.
His cheap ass ain't gonna ruin any future business for you.

If they call back, I dont think it'll ruin me. I could see if I was nailin down small cheap ass jobs all over the place where it would bite me. Thats not the case. But if they ever call back for a repeat i'll have to explain that I can't do it anymore for less than full price.

Well my old pal Jerry made a living off cooking for car lot sales departments. He run a circuit route sorta like the Pony Express. Actually the money he made was donated to an old retired Catholic Priest. That boy took his religion serious. I figger Father Flannagin bent him over the pew a few too many times. Maybe till he started to like it too much. Who knows?

Goober

Back
Top Bottom