Meat Yield Questions and Amounts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I'm pretty good at judging meat amounts when figuring on feeding "X" amount of folks. I still have some to learn when I have multiple meats but so far I over cook and have not under cooked yet. So today some friends of mine want "Pulled Chicken" for a party friday after work. Ok, so I'll cook some whole chickens the day before and pull them. Not a problem.

But how many chickens or dressed "on the claw" raw weight do I want? lol

100 people and I want them all to get [1] quarter pound sammy. So that's 25lbs cooked meat. If a Chicken yields 65% I need to start with about 40lbs of uncooked chickens to get me 26lbs of pulled chicken.

Sound Right?

Pork Boston Butts and Picnics yield 60% when I calculate
Brisket about the same

Thoughts or numbers?
Thanks
mike

Ribs, Pork, Beans, Tato Salad, Cole Slaw and Garden Salad.

Man's 40th B-day party so good sized construction types with their families.

Quarter Rack Per?
1/3 Rack Per?
1/2 Per?

They ain't getting 14 bones man! So no whole rack.

60% yield is right about where I figure brisket and pork. I have never done "pulled" chicken though. I try and figure 3/8 (.375 lb) per person of finished meat in combination when doing two meats. Never ran out yet. I started out figuring 1/2 lb and that was WAY too much! Brisket usually goes quicker than pork . Good luck. Woodreaux

Woodman said:
60% yield is right about where I figure brisket and pork. I have never done "pulled" chicken though. I try and figure 3/8 (.375 lb) per person of finished meat in combination when doing two meats. Never ran out yet. I started out figuring 1/2 lb and that was WAY too much! Brisket usually goes quicker than pork . Good luck. Woodreaux

Thanks man

Spread sheet is good when you "put in the amount".

It says 2 bones a person for Ribs.
Is that what ya'll serve folks?

Mike
I figure 3 bones on low side 4 most of the time, I nelieve you can change that number or add 50% increase for 3 bone or double the number for four.
Jim

Mike Hedrick said:
Spread sheet is good when you "put in the amount".

It says 2 bones a person for Ribs.
Is that what ya'll serve folks?

The spread sheet is mine, I tried to make all the things that could be disputed change able, so if you only get 40% yield on your butts for pulled pork, then you can fix that figure for yourself, when you save it on your computer, the next time you open it, it will have your figures still there.

It has to have a number in the cell, just so the cells and the calculations will work out.

For the most part if I am serving spares, then I go with the 2 as a real number especially when serving the ribs as one of two or three meats. I cut all of the racks and then pick a long and a short, and serve that way so the meat amounts per portion work out. If I am serving baby backs or St Louis style, then I use 3 as a minimum.

The thing is cool and overwhelmed me. I'm not a smart man but I do know what BBQ is.

I had to print it out on 6 sheets and tape all together to see the whole thing. Looks very handy once I get in a tweak a few things.

That's a ton of effort or your side for all us folks. Thank you VERY much.

peace
mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom