Meat only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bubba

Executive Chef
I have been getting requests for meat only catering. For 2 meats I have said around $10-12 per person. Chicken and ribs for $10 per person while pulled pork would be around $12 due to time involved. Any thoughts????

you know, I'd almost prefer that....let them make their own sides.
But my price would still make it worthwhile to me. I'm at a point now
where I charge fairly high...it's just a hobby for me, so I don't care if
I lose jobs. I'd love to make 13 a head for butts, etc.

Why dont you come up with a price list. I have one that I go on for just meats.

Baby back ribs $18
Spares $16
Whole butt $25
chopped butt $30
by the lb $8

Just a suggestion. My customers order via email. I send out an email that I will be cooking on XXX day and they email back with orders. Then I just vacume seal and drop the stuff off.

Well see whut you are doing is custom meat cooking. The no brainer easy to keep track of plan be to charge em two bucks per lb on the weight of the raw meat. That way you stay slightly comepetetive with the bbq joint who will usually do it for about half that price...if some smart yup wants to use the cell phone to figger it out. That just leaves a gap in the hauling and serving part of the equation. Up till now its been pure labor to cook the meat for em. You want to put on a ruffled bow tie and serve..that should cost extry. I would haul it free if it wasnt too far off. Tell em I want the icechests back clean. That should work.

bigwheel

I'd say that those prices are a little high if they're per person. Bu that could depend on where you are? My normal charge per person for 2 meats and 2 sides and a drink is around $12. For pork and chicken as 2 meats, I'd say that $6 a person would be a good price.

I think that Bill has the right idea here. Sell the meat per pund versus per person. Figure 10 lbs of cooked meat should feed about 25 people.

Tim

I'm with Cappy. I do three meats for $15.00/person . I want to make my money from a gig. Margin means nothing to me. I want to get at least $500 PROFIT from a job.

I have figured the final costs per person. Pork shoulder is $1 per person...$3.08 per finished pulled lb and 1/3 lb servings being generous. Ribs figure to be just over $3 per person figuring St. Louis spares and 4 bones per person. Chicken is around $.60 each per person using thighs or drumsticks. I would think with larger cuts of meat your time involved needs to be compensated and $12-15 should be fair considering 12-14 hours of cook time...not to mention prep.

Well let's see. My average gig's are around 100 people at a pop. At $6 a person for just meats, you're at $600. It costs me about $100 to $120 raw cost for meat, spices and fuel. That's a 500% margin. That's a pretty good # in the business world. Unless you're intention is to get rich quick.

Prep of the pork is done as the cooker comes up to temp. Total cook time is around 10 to 12 hours. Chicken can be prepped as the pork is cooking. So with pick up and clean up, you're at around 20 hours.

If you set the price too high, you may be loosing customers? Just a thought.

I'd check to see what the local places are selling the same product at. Most caterer's offer full meals close to the price that you're offering meat only at in my area.

Tim

Gig in question is for 70 people and they want chicken and ribs which cost $3.60 per person for meat. At $10 per I make $448 not counting fuel and wood. The market up here for 2 meats and 2 sides is around $15+ per plate. I don't have to take the pit out of the garage and won't unless it's worth my while. I will not underprice my product. They will get a great product for their money and I will not undervalue my product, talen, or time at the sake of just getting the job. I already have a day job and this is just for fun and extra cash. I have heard the rates up here are much higher than your market.

Not trying to start a pi*#@!g contest. As I said, prices I mentioned are for my area. Every region is different with economy. If the economy can afford those prices, and people are willing to pay them, then by all means, take advantage of it. I do this as a hobby/side business myself. I never do a gig just for the sake of doing the gig either.

Tim

someone asks me to cook a brisket for X amount of people, no sides, I charge them $12 a pound.. I usually pay about $1.80-$1.90 a pound

Someone asks me to do a butt, $11 a pound... usually pay $1.40, $1.50 a pound

Ribs, BB's $22 -$23 depending on how many they want, Spares, $ 18-$20 depending on how many they want... Sapres I pay anywhere from $1.49 to $1.99 a pound

Chicken $5 a person... I usually cook a whole bird, then 1/2, 1/4 it or 1/8th it myself.... and, I throw in the breast as well.. good selling point... and , I cut the breast about 3/4 of the way, and leave the wing attatched to the last small piece of breast ..actually more econimical to buy a whole bird, and cut it your self.. Been paying about 60 cents a pound for the whole bird

Wow!!! Those are some healthy prices. God bless you for getting it. i get $8/lb for pulled. Of course, that's what I ask. Supppose i could ask for more but most of these are for friends anyways and their word of mouth is priceless.

Woodman said:
I'm with Cappy. I do three meats for $15.00/person . I want to make my money from a gig. Margin means nothing to me. I want to get at least $500 PROFIT from a job.

3 meats for 15 bucks???

3 of your meats = $15.00

3 Big Mac Combos = $15.00

not pi$$in in your cornflakes, but ...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom