Less than 48 hours till...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
my first big vend...prepping for close to 500 bbq plates with slaw, beans and brunswick stew, and will serve b stew in bowls.

Got my account with food supplier U.S. foods, picking up a 600 buck
order tomorrow. Saturday I'm vending at a wine festival at La
Belle Amie vineyards...its a Parrot Head festival....expecting around
2000 people.

Big risk here, spending lots of money...could make 1k in a day, could
work my butt off and lose money. Got Jamie from Road Kill Grill to help
with the cooking and 2 chicks from work to serve.

Wish me luck...if this works, I can vend twice a month at their festivals.
This is a bigger one, most will be a little smaller.

only one left in up in the air....the metal guys don't have jacket done yet
for my kettle...told em today I needed it tomorrow....we'll see.
Everything else is in place.

Dont forget the pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, of the chicks from work ;) . Good luck Cappy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

If push comes to shove and you don't get your jacket, you can always set the pot on bricks and the burner directly on the ground. Just add more cooking time. Any metal you can wrap around the sides of the pot to keep the heat in will also greatly help. Did you get the burner that I suggested?

I'm guessing you need the jacket to season the pot. Seasoning only takes an hour or so. Despite what others say about cast iron, I always use soap and a plastic scrub brush to wash the it before and after each cooking. Thats another reason to oil it down before storage. While you are washing it (just before cooking) fire up the burner and get the soapy water warm and use the wooden paddle to scrape inside of the pot. This will break any tiny loose carbon particles free and put a little wear on the paddle. We never stop stirring the pot until it's empty. I tell the new people that stir to pretend they are painting the pot and move the paddle all around to make sure nothing is sticking.

There will be a lot of people that will look at the orange stuff kind of funny. All they will need is a little sample cup to get their pallets rolling. One event I cooked for sold it for $6 a quart or $3 for a bowl. That was a charity cooking event. I have seen it sold for more.

I'm not sure how you would know without peeling one, but check the potatoes when you pick them up to see that they are not green. I would rather use potatoes that have been sitting for a while then green potatoes that can add a dirty taste to the stew. The best stew we ever cooked was with potatoes that had been in cold storage long enough that a few on the bottom were going soft.

You have my cell, so please don't hesistate to call if you have any questions.

Chiles
(OK, I'll be quiet now) :)

Captain,
My cell works 24x7 for work so sure, why not. If I hear the phone I answer it. Brunswick stew is worth it. For some reason I feel pretty invested in this since you are blaming me for starting you down this path.

-Chiles

lol, I ain't gonna call you at 5 am...

but I will take your number!!! Stupid Owens steel has me at the last minute...won't know if the jacket is ready till when I go by at 4:30 this
afternoon...if not, I gotta just get my pot back and do the best I can.
But I'll be there long enough for a 7 hour cook anyway.

I bet there's Q cooking, Brunswick Stew a bubbling and beer a flowing in Myrtle by now!!!! Go Cappy!!!! Go!!

Back
Top Bottom