Labor Day weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich Decker

Senior Cook
I spent the weekend cooking. Friday night I cooker 32 pork butts, when they came off the pit on Saturday I cooked 40 slabs of ribs then on Sunday cooked 60 chicken drum sticks. Five cans of doctored #10 cans beans and 23 pounds slaw.

My catering licenses allow me to cook at home and on site. I like to cook as much as I can at home then deliver to the site before the party. Most of this food went to a golf tournament at my team mates golf course. There were 120 players, each got 1/4 slab ribs, 1 1/2 pulled pork sandwich, 1/2 piece of chicken along with beans and slaw. I brought 50 pounds of pork, 40 slabs ribs and 60 chick's. The chicken went fast, I brought to much pork (I wanted extra) and gave about 10 pounds to the course staff and had the 10 extra slabs I brought left over. There were less then 1/2 pans each of the beans and slaw left over. Overall with the course staff and the tournament staff I served 132 people.

The rest of the pork will go back to the coarse for a member guest then a party for the subs and suppliers of the company I work for.

The things I learned is that 32 pork butte packs my pit and takes longer to cook and having all that pork done at the same time takes a bunch of time pulling and freezing.

One of the early pictures shows the gland (I always trim and remove it) in the butt that is dis-colored or infected, it was disgusting. I've cooked over 150 butts this year one this was the worst.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the buffet line, I was busy but here are some pick's.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandin ... share&Ux=0

Food looks awesome as usual Rich! Gotta question though, how do you serve 1/2 piece of chicken?

Larry Wolfe said:
Gotta question though, how do you serve 1/2 piece of chicken?

That's just part of the formula I use to calculate. I provided 180 sandwiches, 30 slabs ribs and 60 pieces of chicken for 120 people. Chicken is really cheap and easy to cook I will probably increase the chicken and cut down on the pork.The plates these guys had were heavy.

Greg Rempe said:
Was that all cooked on site?

I cooked the chicken on site. The beans were cooked in a roaster pan on site and the coal slaw was mixed together on site (both the slaw and the beans are the recipes on my site). The pork and ribs were cooked at my home, cooled off (pain in the ass cooling that much pork) and reheated on site.

Rich Decker said:
I spent the weekend cooking. Friday night I cooker 32 pork butts, when they came off the pit on Saturday I cooked 40 slabs of ribs then on Sunday cooked 60 chicken drum sticks. Five cans of doctored #10 cans beans and 23 pounds slaw.

Oh man that was a feast makes me hungry just looking at it , and that gland thing lookes like something off the movie Alien!!!! Rich my friend you done good!!!!

Back
Top Bottom