How to get your name out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I have a question for those who sell BBQ to the public.

How did you get your start ?

Potluck at Church?

Work related event ?

Competition cookoff ?

State Fair ?

Just curious.

Every job will generate 1-2 more! Word of mouth is the best way to grow. I also use business cards with my web address on them. Last May, I had the local paper do an article on me and my pit for the community section. That generated interest as well. I am limited in how many jobs I can do. I had to turn one down for 70 yestyerday due to a conflict. Slow growth is best for me so, word of mouth (which is quicker than you think! ;) ) I don't even have a phone book listing or search engine registration of my site! Wood

Best way to do catering in my book is give em the best they ever had and charge em about 3 times whut its worth. That is how the big boys and girls do it. Less you want to bother to get legal..which aint no minor chore for most folks..advertise by word of mouf..flyers and bidness cards. Dont post no signs..nothing in the newspaper or yeller pages. It give you some snob appeal which is not available to the legal folks and cut your expenses way back. Get half the money up front to buy the food..thataway if they stiff you on the other half you still make a bit. Cook at home and bring it out hot. If they want you to drag out a pit to give it some ambiance and contribute to global warming whilst adding smoke to the ionisphere add two hundred. Thats all I know.

bigwheel

Seems like everytime I cook somebody else wants me to cook for them.
But out here its Grilling not Qin thats popular.

bigwheel said:
Best way to do catering in my book is give em the best they ever had and charge em about 3 times whut its worth. That is how the big boys and girls do it. Less you want to bother to get legal..which aint no minor chore for most folks..advertise by word of mouf..flyers and bidness cards. Dont post no signs..nothing in the newspaper or yeller pages. It give you some snob appeal which is not available to the legal folks and cut your expenses way back. Get half the money up front to buy the food..thataway if they stiff you on the other half you still make a bit. Cook at home and bring it out hot. If they want you to drag out a pit to give it some ambiance and contribute to global warming whilst adding smoke to the ionisphere add two hundred. Thats all I know.

bigwheel

Up here, getting "legal" is easier than you'd expect. The key is, you must cook all food "on-site."

Well guess health goon philosophies differ by region. Up here onsite cooking skeers em to death. None of the legal folks do it like that. They always bring it out already cooked.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well guess health goon philosophies differ by region. Up here onsite cooking skeers em to death. None of the legal folks do it like that. They always bring it out already cooked.

bigwheel

As opposed to down where?

In SC we have to cook on site to be legal...that's crazy to me...if my kitchen is at it's absolute nastiest, I can still make safer food than
cooking in someone's yard with a makeshift sink.

Captain Morgan said:
In SC we have to cook on site to be legal...that's crazy to me...if my kitchen is at it's absolute nastiest, I can still make safer food than

I disagree. The plastic tubs I use are justy as good as the sinks in your kitchen. Also, how many of us have the necessary "three" sinks in their house? Also, the real danger in cooking off site lies in the re-heating and transport phases.

you got a mobile 3 sink set up? I don't. Must be nice.

By the way, the 2 sink set up in American kitchens has been working
for over a hundred years.

Obviously, both ways can be done. I feel safer in my kitchen with
running hot water.

No Jim, I use plastic tubs. I boil water on the pit burners and have hot water anytime I need it. You definitely need some way to heat water.

Woodman said:
Captain Morgan said:

Also, how many of us have the necessary "three" sinks in their house?

I know one(no, not mine) that might but I bet it's covered in grease from deep frying. ;)

Woodman said:
Captain Morgan said:

I disagree. The plastic tubs I use are justy as good as the sinks in your kitchen. Also, how many of us have the necessary "three" sinks in their house? Also, the real danger in cooking off site lies in the re-heating and transport phases.

I don't do any catering but I think either way it will be as clean as you make it. You can be a slob at home and you can be a slob on site. Difference being on site people might see you being a slob and avoid your food because of it. That would be the only difference I could think of.

2001...i got suckered into helpin a guy cook 200 hotdogs&hamburgers for 200 hungry fishermen...all went well but was under paid..so sold my 18 wheeler got a local job [golf course] bought equip. grills smokers a open air trailer..did lotsa partys... took over the fisnin tourny, got bigger quit my job after 2 yrs. now i hav all new stuff & truck that is all paid for i hope this is my year....good luck

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom