(HELP) Griff Loaf Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
So I'm making 16 pounds of griff loaf for tomorrow, 8-2lb loafs. Thought I would slice it and cover it with a onion gravy like Salisbury steak. Any one have a recipe for the gravy? I do have onion soup mix but I'm a little afraid of the salt content. Any help would be great!
Thanks,
Chris [smilie=a_help.gif]

saute (sp?) some onions and garlic...dump in some beef broth, than flour or corn starch to thicken..I try to use the lowest salt broth avail, then add more if needed. The only seasoning I add is black pepper....

Thanks John. I was kind of thinking that way. I went to my refer thinking I had some Minors beef base, but no I don't. (stupid one horse town store) 50/50 corn starch and water I was thinking. Hell of it is that I'm doing this with mashed taters and brownies for $5.00 a head.What a idiot I'am for this deal. But I have 4 more deals to go so I figure like the drug dealers, I may have to just about give the first one away and make up for cost on the next 4. I'm such a whore sometimes. :LOL:

Go to CostCO and get a couple, maybe just one, of those giant cans of gravy? Just a thought, and a passing one at that 8)

Chris, sorry if this is to late but I got this from the Cooks Illustrated cook book, I've never tried it.

Gravy

3T non salted butter
1 carrot, peeled and chopped fine
1 rib celery, chopped fine
1 onion minced
1/2 C flour
2 C low-sodium chicken broth
2 C low-sodium beef broth
1 t minced fresh thyme or 1/4t dried
5 whole peppercorns
1 bay leaf

Melt the butter, add the veggies and cook until soft and well browned, stir in the flour and cook until thoroughly browned, stirring constantly.

Gradually stir in the broth and bring to a boil, add the bay leaf, peppercorns and thyme. Simmer stirring occasionally until thickened.

Strain the liquid, season and serve

Thanks Rich. I did a bastarized gravy from cans and no salt beef stock. I think it may come out good. (I hope ) :LOL: Ya got to do, what ya got to do sometimes to get the job done and keep every one happy. ;)

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Thanks Rich. I did a bastarized gravy from cans and no salt beef stock. I think it may come out good. (I hope ) :LOL: Ya got to do, what ya got to do sometimes to get the job done and keep every one happy. ;)

I agree Pigs. Bet that gravy wasnt too bad and better yet, I bet no one complains.

I would hope that there would be some elaborite story about how the gravy was home made using the drippings from prime rib that you cooked just to make gravy !!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom