french fry's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
I have to figure out how much to buy for our Fall Festival at our Fire Department. Sams sells 8# bags of crinkle cuts for $5.08. Any idea how many servings 1 bag will serve?

Let's see....8lbs.; 4 hungry cajuns; 8 Texans; 16 good ol' boys from Georgia; 32 people attending your fall festival at about 4oz. each which is about equal to a medium order of fries at you local burger joint OR.....you could check on the bag it'll probably tell you.

One 8 pound bag will give you about 32-4oz servings. As Bruce said. I don't know what kind of vessel you plan to serve them in. Around here at local events I have seen paper cups for snow cones used. That might be the way to go to get your maxim yield. And keep your price down and your profit up. ;)

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
One 8 pound bag will give you about 32-4oz servings. As Bruce said. I don't know what kind of vessel you plan to serve them in. Around here at local events I have seen paper cups for snow cones used. That might be the way to go to get your maxim yield. And keep your price down and your profit up. ;)

Thanks Pigs. I think thats what they did last year is serve in paper cups.

If'n you can afford a Potato Slicer they are awesome and make great fresh fries from whole potatoes. You can get different cutter Dies for different thickness for fries.

Cut up and cook as many as needed plus it's always cool seeing folks make handcut fries.

The cutters are avaialable at Restuarant Depot and I'm sure online. Not cheap but very nice. I don't have one yet but a boy araound here does and and got me to want one as well.

Good luck
peace

Bill, one of slower but growing trends in food is french fries
with different kinds of sauce. There's a joint somewhere up
north (Pommes Frites?) that serves only french fries (hand cut)
with about 30 different sauces...might be a unique and easy
idea for a festival...

You could offer, ketchup, mayo or any number of aiolies, bbq
sauce, etc.

google Belgian or Belgium french fries, should get more info.

wittdog said:
If its for the local firemans fest...KISS thats just my .02 :LOL:

The menu us going to be:
hot dogs, hamburgers, fry's, bbq, beans, slaw. The lady's usually do the cook shack but dropped the ball and its on me and the Mrs. this year. :roll:

I've seen something somewhere about french fries served with gravy, anyone else seen that??

Larry Wolfe said:
I've seen something somewhere about french fries served with gravy, anyone else seen that??

They do that in some areas in the North of England, tends to be a regional specialty, it is a thicker beef / brown gravy. The other that is good but something of an acquired taste is curry sauce, a thinner more watery curry sauce that is either spooned over the French Frys or served in a carton on the side.

Many, many years ago I ordered FF at a stand in a carnival in Road Island. I asked for ketchup. And they looked everywhere, but couldn't find any. I said "what do you put on them"? Vinegar. It was a Portuguese thing. I still like Ketchup.

Smokey_Joe said:
[quote="Bruce B":3f7h6q3x]Try french fries with malt vinegar someday....gooooooooooood!

Absolutely made for each other....
don't forget the finely crushed sea salt too!

Not sure, but I think the Vinegar on the fries thing
is of Canadian origin.
[/quote:3f7h6q3x]

That's where I first had it, all my relatives there ate them that way.

Smokey_Joe said:

Not sure, but I think the Vinegar on the fries thing is of Canadian origin.[/b]

From the British Empire to the taste buds of the World, but you have to call them chips not French Fries. ;)

Fish and chips, malt vinegar and salt, Cod or Haddock, and if you really want to try to spoil all your guests, cook your French fries in beef fat. Man oh man that is a flavor blast from the past.

SoEzzy said:
Smokey_Joe said:

Not sure, but I think the Vinegar on the fries thing is of Canadian origin.[/b]

From the British Empire to the taste buds of the World, but you have to call them chips not French Fries. ;)

Fish and chips, malt vinegar and salt, Cod or Haddock, and if you really want to try to spoil all your guests, cook your French fries in beef fat. Man oh man that is a flavor blast from the past.

Sir, you have been peeking in my windows again watching me
deep fry in beef tallow .....have you? :shock: :LOL:

Did you know that beef tallow can remain without the need
for refrigeration much longer then pork pork fat/lard provided
it's kept in an airtight vessel.

Smokey_Joe said:
Sir, you have been peeking in my windows again watching me
deep fry in beef tallow .....have you? :shock: :LOL:

Did you know that beef tallow can remain without the need
for refrigeration much longer then pork pork fat/lard provided
it's kept in an airtight vessel.

If I'd been close enough to peek in the window as you cooked your fries, there would have been a knock on the door, and a French fry starved guest begging for some leftovers! ;) :LOL: ;)

Captain Morgan said:
Bill, one of slower but growing trends in food is french fries
with different kinds of sauce. There's a joint somewhere up
north (Pommes Frites?) that serves only french fries (hand cut)
with about 30 different sauces...might be a unique and easy
idea for a festival...

You could offer, ketchup, mayo or any number of aiolies, bbq
sauce, etc.

google Belgian or Belgium french fries, should get more info.

Yes, this is the new trend. True Pomme Frittes are cooked twice as well. I believe that they cook and drain them, then crisp them up again before serving. Alot of work!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom