First Pig Roast gig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
The golf course where I work part time as a grill chef has hired "Bill's Grill" catering for a few jobs in the past. They asked if I could do a Luau Pig roast for 185 members and guests. Well, this was my first paying pig roast job so I wanted to do it up right. Here are a few pics.

Got to get me one of those little pop up tents...looks like a very nice job and a possible many recommendations for future jobs

Captain Morgan said:
did you have plenty left over?

We had about 4lbs of pork left over. The pig was JUST enough to feed everyone. We did up 4 packs of pulled pork and only used one of them. It was close.

Nice looking pig. How heavy at dressed wt?? How many additional pounds did you cook? I'm still trying to get a good handle on wt. vs. mouths to feed.

Rag said:
Nice looking pig. How heavy at dressed wt?? How many additional pounds did you cook? I'm still trying to get a good handle on wt. vs. mouths to feed.

I learned alot from this process... The dressed weight was 150 lbs and we fed 185 people. We added 4lbs of bbq at the very end, which I think we could have gotten by without, but it was very close.

I think I would figure (to be safe) 1 lb of pig per person. It seems that is the safest way to be sure to have plenty with a good possibility of leftovers.

I wasn't in charge of the cooking of this hog, but I believe if I were doing it myself, I would go a little hotter and faster than we went, not alot but a little quicker on the cook would work for me. This pig was on for almost 11 hours, I would shoot for closer to 8 by running a little hottter. But, we did have the rain working against us all day also.

I have never done a whole pig myself, so this one was a learning experience for me and I was very pleased with what we ended up with, but Bill and his brother get all the credit for that. I just watched, and then I did the decorating, chopping and helped serve.

My last 2 pigs had the pulled meat weighed. The yield came out to 30% on the nose for both. Using those percentages to feed 185 people comes to 1/4 # per mouth on a 150# piggy.
I'll bet 150#er was fun to wrestle around. :LOL:

Jody looked at the pictures and declared she'd rather just eat the meat without seeing the whole animal. :LOL:

--John
(I told her it's a great looking pig, and she said 'I'm sure it is, but ...')

Unity said:
Jody looked at the pictures and declared she'd rather just eat the meat without seeing the whole animal. :LOL:

--John
(I told her it's a great looking pig, and she said 'I'm sure it is, but ...')

With NO disrespect Unity you might want to take her in a dark room and feed her the meat while she's still hungry......You animal..... :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom