First Hog Of The Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
I have a whole hog cater for about 80 folks next weekend, The guy keeps calling me and asking " will there be enough? " I ordered a 125 pound porker. Should I throw a couple of butts on also? I have been good on quantity in the past, but sounds like this deal there will be pork madness. My gut tells me to do 2 butts with the hog. Sound about right?
Thanks
Pigs

We want pics!

Chris, is that weight on the hoof or dressed? I've always found the dressed weight to be roughly close enough to feed the same number of
people.....100 pounds, 100 people....the loss of fat, skin and bone
should get you down to a reasonable portion for the folks to eat.

Still, I'm like you...better safe that sorry...for 15 bucks more you
can add a couple of butts and have lunch for a couple of weeks
with any leftovers.

keystone cookers...

James keystonecookers doing an event when you run out your out /doing a party Ive never run out I'd rather take some home follow your gut cook 2 or 3 butts see ya

Yea Jim, 125 dressed. It's a 80th birthday for a grand pappy of a polish family. (oh yea, the polish don't know how to party! :LOL: ) Think I'll throw two butts on just to be on the safe side. ;) Was to be for fifty, now it's eighty. I ordered the hog last week, now he drops this bomb. Better to be safe than sorry. I just freak out when a customer changes things at the last min. Lot's of guys would say " sorry. when it's out, it's out." That's not how I roll! ;)

That quantity THING has bothered me too. Last weekend I cooked a pig and decided to weigh the finished meat since I always felt the yield to be less than predicted.
Stared with live wt of 111. Finished meat wt was 30 pounds. :shock: That should yield 60 servings at 1/2 # each.
So, with 1 # dressed wt/ 1 person served.....you need light eaters.
I'm going to weigh all future hog yields till I feel comfortable with quoting yield numbers.
Extra butts are a good move.

The 111 pounds was on the hoof. I still can't believe the little amount of yield. The pig was picked very clean and all weighed by me. Hard to believe. That's why I want to weigh more cooked meat from hogs.

keystone cookers...

most partys I do are butts/ribs hogs are for contests with me to much cook time I know it looks good but dosn't yeild much meat I try to talk them into doing butts or shoulders more meat for the money and the way I figure 50 people 3rd a#per person 2 gallons beans/tatersalad/but when I do an event I'll try to talk to people puting on the event and get a good head count from previous years and then add about 50 if I run out I'm out I'm doing 2 events for 4th of july [/url]

Rag my loose formula is based on dressed weight, which
explains why you got such a lower yield. Let me find the old chart....

Good chart, Cappy....it confirms my finding of 30% of live wt. It also compares to a chart from an outfit in south Philly that sells hogs.

How accurate is 1/3 of a pound per person?????????? Doesn't sound like much.

look, if it's a cater gig where servers give the portions,
it's ok.
However, if it's a self serve deal, people will take more
than half a pound if you don't have enough sides to fill
up the plate before they get there.

Pig pickins should be about the pork, and I'm cool with that.
If they want to eat 3/4 lbs of meat, good, that means I did a
good job.

A lot depends on the crowd...family crowd, the ratio works well.
Steel workers, better cook 2 pigs!

Back
Top Bottom