Do you have to be licensed to do private parties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawk wild bbq co

Senior Cook
I am wanting to start a small catering service with my trailer and cant seem to find out if I need a food establishment license or not to do it. If I only cater private parties is it neccesary to have a licensed kitchen to do it? I am in iowa usa

If you stick to friends and word of mouth, doing small gigs especially in non public places you should be ok. The only way you would get in hot water that way, is if a pampas health inspector happened to be at the gig you were serving at. Since you are not licensed and or bonded make sure you cook to proper temps and use extreme measures to keep your food safe. (a Thermopen is a must) For example after each turn of chicken, I spray my tongs with vinegar wipe than spray them with vinegar again. I put raw chicken on the grill with food prep gloves and throw em away after each time. The last thing you would want is to lose your house because a guest got the sick from some under cooked chicken or cross contamination! :x I put all slaw potato salad and other cold foods on ice while on the buffet table. Keep hot foods in chafing dishes keeping em at 140. Keep it to private areas and back yards and you'll be pretty safe. If you’re charging $10-$12 per plate for 100 people you’ll do just fine profiting about $600-$700 a gig. :P

yes I have been serv safe certified since 2008 and know all about what I need to do to stay save in that regard. I am fully prepared to serve safe and great tasting Q just the health dept is driving me nuts....lol. Thanks for all your input on this I do appreciate it and look forward to sharing alot of BBQ experience between us all.

If you don't call the HD then you can claim ignorance. If you do call the HD and then start to work and they question you your screwed. Most likely you'll be screwed anyways. It's easy to get your license. All they want is your $$$$. After that comes the hard part..jumping through all the hoops that they put out there. haha! As soon as you trip on a hoop and they can catch it once again your screwed....lol ;)

actually found out from them that unless I am serving to the general public (off the street) that private parties I dont have to have a license or permit at all. They said that falls under private chef and not catering. Sounds like I only have to buy temporary permit then for festivals and such.

hawk wild bbq co said:
actually found out from them that unless I am serving to the general public (off the street) that private parties I dont have to have a license or permit at all. They said that falls under private chef and not catering. Sounds like I only have to buy temporary permit then for festivals and such.

Hawk. Out here we have festivals and street fairs where you pay $200 to vend and your are safe. You fall under the event's umbrella. They are cultural events, rodio days, street fairs etc. Keep a look out for those events too.

I'm trying to find out this info also. I live in the Bronx, NY and it's NYC so it's been IMPOSSIBLE for me to find out anything or get a hold of someone or someone call me back etc. If anyone has any info on this or can help me I'd be greatful!

hell there are so many people in new york city who is gonna know what the heck you are doing. Just do private parties and small gigs and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom