Cook for 150 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Ok, so Ive found out that my neighbors church needs pulled pork for 150 people. I went with 100#lbs of butts = 50 lbs. cooked weight = food for 200 @ 1/4 lb each. You think thats a good guess? I dont have the experience alot of you guys have. Thanks for the help. db

dollarbill said:
Ok, so Ive found out that my neighbors church needs pulled pork for 150 people. I went with 100#lbs of butts = 50 lbs. cooked weight = food for 200 @ 1/4 lb each. You think thats a good guess? I dont have the experience alot of you guys have. Thanks for the help. db

Have you used the BBQ catering planner that is posted as a sticky at the top of this forum? I played around with it a little bit.
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8105

When I plugged in 200 four oz servings, it gave me 90.91 lbs of uncooked Boston Butts or 76.92 lbs of (full) Pork Shoulder.

We're doing 50 lbs of butt, 30 lbs of chicken and a few slabs of ribs for a party this weekend. Hope the weather holds out!

Man I hope the weather holds out for you too. I just did 40lbs of butts and 30lbs of brisket and 5 lbs chicken and got rained out. Thank god most people ate early.

Ill check the link Div. thanks!

I use between 1/4 and 1/3 pound of cooked pork per sandwich. Always cook more than you figure you need, as a cushion. I generally prepare what I think will be consumed, plus 10%, to be safe.

Right on the money!
and I'd be lost without SoEzzys catering planner. It works and works well.
dj

Adrienne said:
I use between 1/4 and 1/3 pound of cooked pork per sandwich. Always cook more than you figure you need, as a cushion. I generally prepare what I think will be consumed, plus 10%, to be safe.

I'd say ya did that just bout perfect. I always figure 50% loss on the smoke an a few extras, All mine er 1/4lb on a bun an nobody ever complains, the meat hangs out the side. Yall do just fine.

Im pretty confident with it. Ill be the first to admit Ive been known to screw a couple a cooks (thankfully home cooks) so I just wanted to get other opinions cause this place has alot of smart people! ;)

thanks for all the input!

I invested in a $25 scale... when i do something like that, a function of any sort.. I put the bread in a boat/plate on the scale, add a couple of pickles, zero the scale, then weight the meat to 1/4 lb as it goes on the sammy... it has vastly improved my food cost, and profitablity..

and just a point.. if you need food for 150, just get food for 150, not 200.. not giving you a hard time, but in paying gigs you need to keep costs as close to the vest as possible.. as well, there is always more food in addition to the main attraction, or main meal...,

plus people really dont eat as much as they say/think they do, expecially if there are sides, appys, chips, and all that other stuff that is laying around the party...you'll get a handfull of people who will over eat, but it certainly is not the majority of the people in attendance ..and they will be balanced out by the ever dieting female demographic of the party :eek:

Thanks Boberquer Ive got a scale too. Just might have to put that plan in action after I get used to jist of how it all plays out when Im actually doin the serving. Also to Hogette Yes I have tinkered with SoEzzies planner. Its nice. I feel better talking with the people though. ;)

I don't use a scale, we bought several portioners an use them, that way we get the right amount without somebody wonderin why where wieghin everthin. Ifin I remember right we paid bout 6 bucks each.

Just looks like another servin tool. You can get em in all different sizes to. Great fer alotta different foods if yer controllin portions whick be vital.

I dont mind feedin 150 for the price of 200. Its a safe bet you have enough is my worry. Id rather be known as a Huge Sammich' guy than the "Not enough Guy" . :) ;)

What are y'all charging for a pulled pork sandwich? I am doing a festival in two weekends and will be making 1/4 pound sanwiches, but not sure what to charge for them. Also... if you sell ribs, what do you charge for those? Thinking about doing some slabs and cutting them into thirds or quarters and selling them that way.

thanks!

chuck

nakedpigbbq said:
What are y'all charging for a pulled pork sandwich? I am doing a festival in two weekends and will be making 1/4 pound sanwiches, but not sure what to charge for them. Also... if you sell ribs, what do you charge for those? Thinking about doing some slabs and cutting them into thirds or quarters and selling them that way.

thanks!

chuck
Id shop around your area to see what the goin rate is. Ive never done this b4 but id go at least $5.00 bucks a hit. Big Wheel just talked about this too on another thread. (cant think of what one) Make it worth your while whatever you do. (obviously) db

DJ said:
I'm $5.25 for a piled high sandwich. $6.95 with a side and a soft drink
dj

That sounds perfect! Thats gotta be what the rip off home depot hot dog cart guy/lady gets. (If it just wouldnt smell so good, damn!)

Not sure if this may help or not,,I did a cook for 200 seniors an a dance the Town of Wheatfield had. And we went to Sam's club to get the rolls, we get the small dinner rolls,because of the lo'folks don't eat much. But they can have 2 - 3 if they wanted. 225 showed up and we did 16 butts and had left overs for 50 more,,, Sam's has great tasting dinner rolls

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom