catering in Virginia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Crazy Redneck

Assistant Cook
Well, I met with the health inspector in Chesterfield, Virginia to start researching catering officially. Basically, I was told that I could not convert my garage without going through a big hassle(rezoning and such). So the way that we discussed would be to get a concession trailer and get that setup with the basics. Does this sound similar to other health inspectors in Virginia. If some of you have concession trailers do you have pictures and do you all have any recommendations.

Thanks All,
Lloyd

Lloyd,

Are you wanting to do private party type events or fairs and events that vend to the public?

Tim

Every jurisdiction is different. I do "ON SITE" catering which means that all my food is either comercially bought or is prepared on site. The BBQ is a little different. You have to explain to them that it takes time to cook the Q and the process and then explain how you will reheat and keep it warm. I have steam tables for street vending and a gas grill for cooking on. I dont have a trailer, I use easy ups and the like. When I do private party's, the health department NEVER knows.

I know you cant make it to the get to gether to cook, but if you can make it over on saturday you will see my set up. Its very simular to my comp set up.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom