How I Use My Fryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Hornet

Head Chef
I have a Fryer that I have not used for food in a while but here is what I have been doing with it for a couple years now.
Fresh Roasted Coffee.
Here is the contraption I made to fit around my fryer. It is PVC tube and elbows to wrap around the base and 2 forked metal thingys to had the roasting baskets. The baskets are 2 round fry baskets clipped together with office clips. It holds about a pound of coffee but I usually only roast enough for me for a week tops. That is the point of fresh roasted coffee.

You can get green coffee beans from a lot of different places on the internet. These are from Kenya, my fav along with Kona.

Here it is on a medium flame. Total cook time varies but 15 to 20 mins is average.

Between 5 and 10 mins in the beans turn to the color of peanuts and give off a grassy smell as the water in the bean boils off.

Next the beans get darker and begin to crack, with a sound like popcorn. Starts to look like real coffe here. The outter skin of the bean cracks off in paperlike chaff as the beans start to carmelize the sugars in the beans.

after that the beans start to smoke and make a much softer crack the beans oils are coming to the surface. Once here you can stop anytime you like I like to go about 30 seconds into that 2nd crack. Lighter roasts are light and flavorful but the darker roastes are much bolder. Do not go too far or you will boil out all the oils and have a nasty bean that tastes like a Kingsfors brickette.

When they get about where you want em then take them off the fire and let em cool. 4 hours is best. You can make coffe right away if you want but after 4 hours, they need to vent c02. put them in an airtight container and grind them as you need them.

Kind of neat to do for gueasts who like coffee. You can do it as simply as you want. First time I did this I used a cast iron skillet and a spoon. Just keep the beans moving over med high heat. Do it out side or turn on the kitchen stove fan or it will make a mess with the smoke and chaff. If you love coffee yer gonna love doing this. :!:

For a long time I used a hand cranked popcorn popper, but the plastic gears didn't stand up long. I saw a company that sold a tumbler that went on a gas grill. It held about 5lbs and cost about $200. I think I have about 10 total in this gizmo. Makes great coffee. That is what counts! :D
The green beans are pretty resonable too. The kona is about $12 a lb and the kenya is only about $4 a lb.

Let me know how it turns out! The only problem is once you get used to fresh roasted and fresh ground coffee you won't be able to drink anything else. I have to carry my own thermos around all the time. It is a biggun so I can share with the other Deputies.
There is also another site that explains the procedures, a lot better than I did at www.sweetmarias.com I just wanted to show off what I have been doing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom