Finally deep fry breading I like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
For years we've been looking for a good breading recipe and finally have it. Had deep fried crappie tonight, thanks to our fishing friends. We used a basic beer batter (flour, beer, egg, salt) and then ROLLED IN PANKO BREAD CRUMBS. They were golden brown and had a great crispiness - which is what I'd been looking for, and didn't have to over cook the fish to get it. Tried the same thing on onion rings the other night and it was a winner there too. Obviously the batter can be something else or jazzed up with herbs and spices to taste.

Stogie said:
Big Dude,

A really simple technique for breading when you don't want the heaviness of a batter is to set up the following...............

bowl of flour, bowl with 2-3 eggs beaten in small amount of beer(or any liquid), bowl of panko bread crumbs.

You can season the flour, the panko or the meat prior to dipping.

When ready, dredge in the flour, shake off excess, dip in the egg wash and then coat in the panko. Then fry.

Frying can be done on the stove top using about 1/4" of oil in a skillet. Fry each side until golden brown. No expensive and cumbersome deep fryers needed.

We like this because it allows the flavor of the meat to shine thru yet you get the crispiness of the coating. It avoids the thicker batters which too often mask the taste and require complete submersion to come out properly.

We have used this technique on everything that is typically deep fried.

As always, the heat of the oil prior to frying is the key. If you get the oil up above 375º, the coating immediately seals resulting in far less oil being absorbed, thereby much healthier. If you have ever had soggy deep fried food, the problen is the oil was not heated to the correct temp.

Best of luck!

Thanks Stogie - Thats what I do for pan frying or use cornmeal, but found the panko wouldn't stay on the eggwash when deep frying, so thats where the batter came. The beer batter by itself wasn't as crispy as we liked, but the addition of panko made it perfect for us. I made the batter kinda thin to prevent the the heaviness. Perhaps you.ve tried it but for the pan frying, rice flour seems to work better with the egg wash than wheat.

Back
Top Bottom