Chruschiki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
This was my grandmothers recipe. They are not very sweet but are a terrific cookie if you are looking for a large batch cookie to give to friends and family over the holidays.

1 tbls unsalted butter

2 large eggs

5 large egg yolks

3 tbls granulated sugar

11/2 tsp salt

1 tsp pure orange extract

1 tsp pure lemon extract

1 tsp white vinegar

1 tbls rum

3 tbls sour cream

1 tsp grated lemon zest

1 tsp grate orange zest

2-3 cups all purpose flour

Pure vegetable shortening for deep frying

Melt butter and combine with eggs, yolks, sugar, salt, extracts, vinegar, rum, and sour cream with a heavy mixer beat until lemon coloured. Add citrus zests. Gradually add the flour until a very stiff dough is formed. Turn onto a floured surface and knead 8-10 minutes. Cut dough in half after it becomes elastic. Roll dough very thin cut into strips about 4 inches long and 11/4 inches wide. Cut the ends on a diagonal. Slit each piece in the centre. Invert one end through the slit. Place on parchment or wax paper and cover with a towel to keep moist. Heat shortening to 375 degrees F. Make sureto use a deep heavy bottomed pot to avoid splashes of oil. Lightly fry each to a golden colour. Do not crowd the pot. Drain on paper towels or bags. Transfer to a cooling rack. When cool sprinkle with icing sugar or serve with a chocolate or caramel dip or even honey.

Makes a ton of them.

LOL I am Polish, French Canadian, Russian, English, American and Canadian.

I married a Macedonian who has Greek and Bulgarian Roots.

Our kids are like the United nations.

A little of this a little of that.

(I have not tried it with whiskey, will have to try it)

Back
Top Bottom