"WolfeRub"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
I don't know how many of you have tried it or if Larry is actually going to bring this stuff to market or not...but...I was sent a bag to try and then review. Larry told me it would be good on steaks, bbq...pretty much whatever.

Well I can say with 100% assurity that I will not be putting it on steaks again. Way to sweet for steaks at least for me. Also, it must have a fairly high sugar content because the meat started adhering to the grill and was a mother to turn without pulling the outside crust off. It kind of reminded me of when I tried TXBBQ Rub brisket blend on steak one time...that was a disaster as the meat completely stuck to the grill and the cook was a total loss...not so in this case.

I can say with 99% confidence that it will go really well with pork butts, ribs and other BBQ meats but I don't think it is meant for the grill. I will give it a go on chicken in the near future.

My conclusion is this...Larry, it is a great tasting rub and you would do well to make it available for all to buy if you decide to do it! Just not my style on steaks!! GOOD JOB BUDDY!! :!: =D> =D> =D>

Thanks Greg for the honest review! If anyone is interested and would like to give my WolfeRub a try,I'd be more than happy to send out a free sample for your review. PM or e-mail me, your name and address and I'll send it out. This is only for members of BBQ-4-U, please.

Well, I also got some of it and used it on pork chops. I didn't have the problems Greg had, but I also wasn't going for a very high sear. I did get some char, but i wanted some char. Otherwise I would have cooked them inside. Also I used just a light to med-light dusting. I cooked using a combination of direct and indirect heat. The brown sugar in the rub gave the chops a nice 'glazing'. The herbs used were a great combination of flavors. I don't know if I would use it on chicken, but I can see a butt in it's future.

The offer for the free sample of Wolf Rub is valid until midnight 5/18/05. Just PM or e-mail me your address prior to the cut off and I will mail a FREE sample to you as soon as possible. Again this is only valid for existing members of BB-4-U. Thanks.

Here is a PM that Scotty Da Q sent me of the Wolfe Rub review by Mrs. Scotty Da Q! Thanks to the Da Q's for the input, I appreciate it!!!

I had the wife do a blind taste test of the Scotty/Wolfe rub. My comments in RED.

I asked her to only judge on flavor and nothing else.
I gave her one of the best bones ............ that were left after my sample.... One of each of ours dry and wet reheated the same way. I foiled all 4 bones in one loose sheet of foil and sprayed with a little apple juice. Oven at 300 for 15, flipped, 10 mins, Heat off ... door open...unfoiled....rested for 5 and gave it a final spritz.

The plate was marked with tape and presented as
<tape> 1 2 3 4
I gave her a sheet of paper that had 1,2,3,4 on it.

1 your's dry
2 mine dry
3 yours wet
4 mine wet

Her Results

1 " Mild flavor, with very slight sweetness. rounded flavor, but weak. If going to natural flavor of pork with no sauce ... Bonus." This may be my fault. I gave your rub the same amount of shaking that I do mine. Mine has more spice and less sugar...so that may explain it. I notice in your pics ... you really pack it on there.
2 " Little stronger. slight hint of heat. Taste a little more of ...."something".
Nice underlying flavor on the meat that could work well dry or wet."

3 " Stronger. Had an after mouth heat that was nice. Sweet and "Glazed-ish"

4. Similar to #3. More pepper taste / more aftertaste
I make my own Chile powder .... note to self and recipe adjusted and too much lingering heat . Nice slight sweetness.

Anyway, some more feedback for ya and thanks again for letting me try your product! The point you made about "people need to tweak it to me wasn't clear, and I judged it as it came to me. Maybe I should have doctored it up you my Chilehead / Yankee taste buds.

Take care my friend.

Hey ... Ya ever hear of AWT's? instead of ABT's? Ever tried em?

Okay, I used my Wolfe rub last night for the first time. I did a blind taste test with my family. I did three London Broils , 1 rubbed with the Wolfe rub, 1 with KC Masterpiece BBQ rub and 1 with Mrs. Dash. The test panle consistied of my wife, myself, my younger son (16 years old), my oldest son (21 years old) and one of his buddies. Comparisons are listed with favorite first down to least favored.

Me- KC, Wolfe, Mrs. Dash

Wife- KC, Mrs. Dash, Wolfe

16 year old- Mrs. Dash, Wolfe, KC

21 Year old- KC, Wolfe, Mrs. Dash

Buddie- Wolfe, KC, Mrs. Dash.

Wolfe rub has a great taste but is sweet. I personally think it would be great on pork. My wife didn't care for it because she said she tasted cinnaminon in it and she doesn't like cinnamion. I think if food gets sauced with something with a kick to it, you can get a real nice combo oh heat and sweet.

His rub is awesome on BBQ nuts as is. A nice "Beer nut" kinda thing.
If you're using it on meat, then ... as Lar says... you need to to doctor it up to your liking. ... He's prepared this rub as an "All around rub for the masses", and agrees that it is as such.

So Larry, what are your plans with the rub? Are you gunna market it?

FATZ said:
Wanna trade? PM me.

Hey Fatz, what happened with our trade??? I sent yours along time ago, did you get it? I'm waiting to try the Famous Pig Powder!!

TexLaw said:
After over a month, I finally got my pit going again and got a chance to try Wolfe Rub.

Larry, I like this stuff. When I tasted it, it reminded me of Mexican candy, so I tried to keep that in mind when I used it. It definately is a pork rub, though, and I could see it work with chicken.

First off, I tried a little on some pork loin chops that I grilled. I added a little extra salt, too. Yum. The spices came through nicely. The cinnamon added some depth and an unexpected twist.

Next, I mixed Wolfe Rub with some chili powder, some fresh coarsely ground black pepper, and a little tumeric. I really like how all the flavors blended. I added some to the mushrooms, spinach, and onion I sauteed as a pork loin roast stuffing. I also rubbed the outside of the roast with the same a little extra salt. Again, I really like how it all came out.

My wife agreed that it added some very good and interesting flavors. From the number of times my younger son pointed at the Wolfe Rubbed pork chops and said "more," I can safely say that he also agreed. My older son wanted to be a PITA and wouldn't eat any. :)

Larry, thank you for sending down the sample, and I apologize for not getting to it until now. It's a nice departure from the paprika-laden rubs. I saved the couple tablespoons I have left, and I'm thinking about what to do with it.

TL

Thanks Tex, I'm really glad you and your family enjoyed it!

My wife wanted Shake-n-Bake chicken last night. We had a package of 7 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the fridge. And guess what? I had just received my order of Wolfe Rub earlier in the day. So I decided to cook 5 of the breasts using S&B and use Wolfe Rub on the other 2. Used a clean sandwich bag and shook just like S&B. One thing I noticed about this batch of rub over the last is that there’s no clumping.

Cooked at 400º for 20 minutes as per the S&B instructions and here’s what they looked like. (Sorry, no pics after we cut into it ~ Went too fast! )

Now, sugar’s exact melting point is 186ºC or 366ºF so the sugar in the rub melted and a lot of it melted into the chicken leaving it moister than the S&B chicken. It was sweet but not too sweet. And, there was a heat that was very good ~ Not overpowering, but you definitely knew it was there. The kind that sneaks up on you. Maybe a little too much heat for chicken ( I’m one of those ‘I like to taste the meat’ kind of guys ) but I’ll definitely do this again. I’m gonna try this, cut up over a rice dish or mixed in a salad! I think this would be great on pork butt and if there was a slightly milder version (heat), I think this might just be a contest winner on chicken and ribs. And my wife loved it and she doesn’t like spicy foods.

Now this is just my opinion and everyone knows, opinions are just like A.H.’s ~ Everyone has one.

Well, I've found yet another use for Wolfe Rub.

Ramen Noodles. :grin: That's RIGHT ! Ramen.

I was making some chicken ramen noodles for the kids, and spotted the shaker of WR on the counter and said... Hmm... I wonder...So I tried it and IT's DAMN GOOD! Kids thought it was a nice change too!

Try it. :D

2 packages chicken Ramen (Cook as normal)
Add:
1-2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon Wolfe Rub

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom