Willingham’s Original Rub’n Spice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LowRent

Senior Cook
I love this dry rub on grilled chicken. It’s good on roasted & grilled pork, roasted chicken, & vegetables too, but it really shines for me on grilled chicken. I have gotten more compliments from guests on this than any other meal.

It’s a little sweet, and a little spicy. It’s also salty, so I wouldn’t advise any additional salt if you’re liberally applying the Willingham’s.

The product review, if I can really pass it off as that is now over. If you’re interested in exactly what I do for this recipe, here goes.

I start by brining a whole skin-on chicken for 24 hours—if you’re going to brine for more than 24 hours then cut back on the salt and sugar. This brine is ¼ C kosher salt, ¼ C brown sugar, several heavy shakes of the Willingham’s, plus about ½ gallon of H2O. I put the whole mess along with the whole or cut chicken into a 1 gallon Ziplock and place in ‘frige’.

Remove chicken from frige, rinse, then pat dry. Liberally shake Willingham’s on all surfaces of the chicken. Leave chicken on counter before placing on grill (shouldn’t be more than 20-25 minutes if you’re using a chimney). Then start your charcoal & proceed with getting your grill ready to, well, grill. When grill/charcoal is ready, grill over medium direct heat for 30-35 minutes. I usually now leave the chicken over direct heat for 25 minutes and then indirect and covered for the remainder of the time.

Remove from grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes.

OK, thanks Raine, I think I'll pass, have several salty rubs already, don't really need another one.

Back
Top Bottom