Lodge Smoky Mountain Stainless-Steel Range Stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
After getting a link from Chris Finney on this unit a couple weeks ago, and a long story about how I didn't get the one he got that day but found one on ebay for almost as good a price, mine came this past Thursday.

Assembly was very easy...even for me, Nick! :!: =D> It can be put on a tabletop or you can install the included legs and use it as a stand-alone stove. It has (2) 20,000 BTU burners. Well built and a steal for the $119 I paid for it. They say it retails for $300 or so but I have seen them on other sites for $200+ so not to bad for me!

Thursday night I grilled thighs on the Silver B and on the Lodge was also able to do Rice-A-Roni on one burner and snow peas tossed in EVOO and seasonings on the other burner. The entire dinner was cooked outside which is SWEET!!

The temp control is good but there is a nuance to it. The low on this unit is really like medium...after sliding the knob back like I was going to turn it off, the flame goes really low...like a true low for simmering and whatever...but you can't turn it to far down because it will shut-off. In any event, that is a minor drawback and it can be rectified by the method I described.

Also, if I get the nerve, I can light my chimney on this unit to, but I don't want to get it dirty with ash...ANAL, I know!! It comes with a 20lb propane regulator and hose ready to go but no cover. I went to Lowes and bought a $10.00 53" grill cover for it last night and it is now well protected from the rain and elements...Yes Nick, it will be in the attic with the WSM in the winter :eek: :D

HERE is a link to what it looks like and its description. I don't think Finney has used his yet but I liked the first time and will use it again tonight or tomorrow!

If you are looking for something like this...it is well worth the investment. Also, if you are a camper, this is right up your alley!! :(

Well Greg, I'm glad the assembly went well for ya! (Didn't look to complicated in the pics :grin: ). When I bought my gasser 15 years ago, I bought the model with the side burner and use it all the time. I would imagine having 2 burners out there will be even better. Hope you get plenty of service out of the unit. You should look into building (or having built) a shed with a porch on it for winter cooking! Nothing like a pulled pork smmie on Super Bowl Sunday! #-o Just busting them Greg...enjoy your unit!

Nick Prochilo said:
...You should look into building (or having built) a shed with a porch on it for winter cooking! Nothing like a pulled pork smmie on Super Bowl Sunday!...

You know Nick, my wife and I are hoping to move in a year. My request was to buy a house with a nice cement patio out back and, if it didn't have one already, have a roof or a large expanse cover it for all season grilling and smoking! [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

I would love to have that set-up you have, but not at this house... :eek:

Nick Prochilo said:
Looking for a big move or just an upgrade? I guess with the family growing it gets tighter & tighter in the house.

A little upgrade in size but would like a better upgrade in community and schools... :(

Hey Greg,

Looks like a nice unit. I didn't know Lodge built anything that wasn't cast iron. Look forward to seeing it at Smokestock 2005 this weekend.

Kloset BBQR said:
Hey Greg,

Looks like a nice unit. I didn't know Lodge built anything that wasn't cast iron. Look forward to seeing it at Smokestock 2005 this weekend.

SmokeStock??? It's just a mock comp for you, uncle bubba and Woddie, right??

Yeah, SmokeStock 2005 at your house. 6/3/2005. No need to list all the attendees in one breath Greg! :grin:

Just to let you guys know, I have used mine. Fired it up and cooked a couple of sides on it.
Greg, I found the same thing as you. You need to turn the knob past the detent to get a simmer.
Can't wait to do some blackened fish on this puppy. Don't have the industrial range hood down here in SC like I do in NC. Blackening has to be done outside here.

No, you twit.
I bought it to do things outside that I can't do inside because of the sub-par range hood down here in SC.
In NC I can blacken fish and do almost anything else because of the great range hood. It sucks out all the smoke from blackening or grilling on the range.

Back
Top Bottom