Fantastic Customer Service from Maverick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a brand new ET-73 that I used for the second time yesterday. Well the switch failed, like it had a short in it and wouldn't stay on and then would just cut back on by itself. I have 2 other sets of Maverick ET-73 and have had them for several years with NO problems. So I e-mailed Maverick yesterday, here's my e-mail and their reply! Kudos to Maverick Housewares!!!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: May 17, 2007 1:01 PM
Subject: Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer Issue
To: "help@maverickhousewares.com" <help>

To Whom it May Concern,
I purchased a Maverick ET-73 two weeks ago. I am using it for
the second time today and the receiver cuts off everytime the unit is
touched. The switch will not turn it back on but the unit will come
back on if you touch the switch, but it will not stay on. The number
on the back of the unit is 693101 if that helps? How can I get this
fixed or receive a replacement unit? Thanks in advance for your
assistance.

Larry Wolfe
6759 Willowbrook Drive
Bealeton, Virginia 22712

--
Larry Wolfe
---------------------------
www.wolferub.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: May 18, 2007 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: Maverick ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer Issue
To: Larry Wolfe <bigdaddyskins56>

Hi,

Larry sorry for the trouble you're having with this unit I will send you
out a replacement.

Thanks,

Saprena

Well I received a brand new Maverick ET-73 from Maverick yesterday per my problems last week. Lets see my ET-73 crapped out Thursday, I sent an e-mail Friday and I get it the following Thursday! Kudo's to Maverick Industries!!

Is it just me? Or do you guy's spend more time reboxing and at the post office and standing by the mail box waiting for those damn things to come back than you do cooking! :LOL: OLD SCHOOL RULES! ;) pocket thermo suits me fine. :roll:
Warranty: My definition. A excuse for a product that was not manufactured right in the first place. :shock: :LOL: oops got to run and adjust my gas pit. :LOL:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Is it just me? Or do you guy's spend more time reboxing and at the post office and standing by the mail box waiting for those damn things to come back than you do cooking! :LOL: OLD SCHOOL RULES! ;) pocket thermo suits me fine. :roll:
Warranty: My definition. A excuse for a product that was not manufactured right in the first place. :shock: :LOL: oops got to run and adjust my gas pit. :LOL:

I didn't rebox a thing. I sent one e-mail and that was it. While this one was on the fritz, I used one of my old ET-73's. I have a Thermapen I used as well, but mainly for grilling. I don't like to open the cooker until the meat is done when I'm making BBQ, because if you use a pocket thern you have to open the lid of your cooker everytime you check the temp. "if you're looking you ain't cooking". That just prolongs the cook.

I recently purchased an ET-73 and tried it for the fist time this week on my Chargriller to get a feel for the device.

I was really disappointed when I IMMEDIATELY had problems with the on/off switch on the probe unit and my surface probe shorted the FIRST time I used it. Because of the problems I've read about with the probes, I was VERY careful with probe and even protected to the leads with high heat tubing :cry:

I emailed Maverick the next morning and they were as helpful as they could be with the problems. At first they wanted me to send the probe unit back to them but later decided to just send me a new unit. They're out of the smoker probes for a month but they're sending me a food probe as a substitute. According to them, the temp range is the same. It will be a little harder to use for surface temp but it's no big deal.

Putting the on/off switch in the battery compartment rather than putting a power button on the front of the unit is one of the DUMBEST engineering decisions I've encountered. They definitely need to make modifications to the unit and look at the quality of their probes. I know there's a cost factor involved but if they continue to replace defective units and probes, modifications will become cost effective VERY quickly. ;)

PantherTailgater said:
I recently purchased an ET-73 and tried it for the fist time this week on my Chargriller to get a feel for the device.

I was really disappointed when I IMMEDIATELY had problems with the on/off switch on the probe unit and my surface probe shorted the FIRST time I used it. Because of the problems I've read about with the probes, I was VERY careful with probe and even protected to the leads with high heat tubing :cry:

I emailed Maverick the next morning and they were as helpful as they could be with the problems. At first they wanted me to send the probe unit back to them but later decided to just send me a new unit. They're out of the smoker probes for a month but they're sending me a food probe as a substitute. According to them, the temp range is the same. It will be a little harder to use for surface temp but it's no big deal.

Putting the on/off switch in the battery compartment rather than putting a power button on the front of the unit is one of the DUMBEST engineering decisions I've encountered. They definitely need to make modifications to the unit and look at the quality of their probes. I know there's a cost factor involved but if they continue to replace defective units and probes, modifications will become cost effective VERY quickly. ;)

I'm sure the reason the switch is under the cover is more than likely to help prevent moisture from entering the switch compartment. So if that is the case it's actually smart engineering. I figure we turn the Maverick on one time and off one time in the process of a 8-20+ hour cook, not really that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned. If we needed to turn it on 10-15 times, then it would be a problem. One of our customers and board members suggested to get around taking the cover off to turn the unit on and off, to simply drill a hole in the cover directly in front of the switch.

Glad to hear Maverick helped fix your problem!

Larry Wolfe said:
PantherTailgater said:

I'm sure the reason the switch is under the cover is more than likely to help prevent moisture from entering the switch compartment. So if that is the case it's actually smart engineering. I figure we turn the Maverick on one time and off one time in the process of a 8-20+ hour cook, not really that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned. If we needed to turn it on 10-15 times, then it would be a problem. One of our customers and board members suggested to get around taking the cover off to turn the unit on and off, to simply drill a hole in the cover directly in front of the switch.

Glad to hear Maverick helped fix your problem!

Oh, I know the reason for putting it in the compartment. It was a CHEAP and flimsy alternative to using a sealed switch or power button on the front or side of the unit. The problem it that it isn't practical or user friendly. There's tons of switches and buttons that have an appropriate NEMA rating.

It has been a week now and I'm still waiting for the replacement probe unit that Maverick promised and a replacement probe and they also refuse to respond to my emails. :?

I'm still hopeful that Maverick will stand behind their product but I'm beginning to wonder..................

Finney said:
Send an email,

"Attention Saprena"
Explain you situation
Help should be forth coming

She's the one that I've been communicating with through this process. I sent her an email today asking about the status of my replacement unit and a new probe.

NO ANSWER!

I'm really beginning to have doubts about Maverick's products and service.

Context of today's email:
"Saprena,
Neither have I received the new receiver nor the new probe. If they were shipped from NJ, something is wrong. Are the coming from the West coast?

Thank You,
Neil
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 1:38 PM
To: Subject: Re: Problems with ET-73

Hi,

You do not need a rma for the return, you know what just toss the receiver I sent you a new one out today. Now the probe I can send you a replacement regular probe, the high heat probes cost more so I wouldn't be able to replace with the hh if you want a regular probe I can do that. Let me know what you want to do.

Saprena
"

They seemed to be very responsive but ACTIONS speak louder than words. I've yet to receive ANYTHING from them and now they will not even respond to emails.

PantherTailgater said:
Context of today's email:
"Saprena,
Neither have I received the new receiver nor the new probe. If they were shipped from NJ, something is wrong. Are the coming from the West coast?

Thank You,
Neil
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 1:38 PM
To: Subject: Re: Problems with ET-73

Hi,

You do not need a rma for the return, you know what just toss the receiver I sent you a new one out today. Now the probe I can send you a replacement regular probe, the high heat probes cost more so I wouldn't be able to replace with the hh if you want a regular probe I can do that. Let me know what you want to do.

Saprena
"

They seemed to be very responsive but ACTIONS speak louder than words. I've yet to receive ANYTHING from them and now they will not even respond to emails.

I am not making excuses and I would also be upset if I were you. But this time of the year alot of people take vacations, that could be the culprit as to why she is not returning your e-mail. Hopefully you will hear something back soon.

In the June 7th email from Maverick Saprena asked you what you wanted her to do about the probe. Maybe they were waiting on an answer before they sent anything out.

Hope you get the replacement soon. It's only been a week since they said they would send you a replacement. I know it seems like a long time to you but rarely is your urgency at the same level as a companies response.

My apologies to Maverick!

I checked my mail this morning and both the probes and the unit had arrived. I guess the reason that it took so long was that they were sent via US Mail rather than UPS.

However, one slight problem. THEY SENT THE WRONG UNIT! I got a new remote unit rather than the probe unit.

Sigh..........

:(

I just spoke to Maverick Customer Service regarding the confusion about which unit was defective. They were EXTREMELY nice about it and were VERY responsive. Saprena is sending me a transmitter unit out today.

GOOD JOB MAVERICK!

I bought a et73 this year and had the remote unit power switch fail in the on position. I would pull the batteries in/out to use. Went to the MABA thing in Lancaster where Maverick was being sold by an accessories dealer with a Maverick rep standing by. I brought my faulty unit with me to show him. Without asking he swapped it with a display unit. Thats the way to do business.

My experience with Mav customer service is all second hand. My ET-73 is swingin' into its third year. Got a few scars, but it still works well.

Obviously, Maverick has some quality control issues with the ET-73, which is not a good thing. On the other hand, the "step up' in quality to a NU is pretty expensive, and in a few important ways the NU isn't as good. We all know that life without a wireless, remote read, dual probe thermometer simply isn't worth living.

All this makes customer service really important. I've heard scores of good stories compared to one or two bad stories. Which makes me think Maverick cares, does its best, but customers sometimes get lost in the cracks.

Speculating from the observation that bunches of defective units seem to hit the market in clusters, they get the occasional bad batch. This means that return requests are also concentrated in clusters -- and they may get overwhelmed and drop a few balls.

Not to say you're a ball.

Diva -- You probaly know better than I how to deal with these sorts of situations. Nevertheless, I'd recommend sending a very short e-mail saying your unit failed, you attempted to resolve the problem, the problem is still outstanding, and could you have a name and a phone number to you could speak directly with someone who can help -- as email has so far not been profitiable. Then, whether you receive a reply or not, follow up with a phone call 48 - 72 hours later. Tell them you've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, and imagine that somehow your problem has been overlooked, and you're sure they can fix it for you.

Why not learn temp. control of your pit? That way you won't have to keep standing next to your mail box waiting for another defective Maverick that will have to be sent back again. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom