Crappy Weber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Every time I fire up the 22 1/2" wsm it hacks me off.
In the past it's been cool and had trouble reaching 250*, so we cut it slack. Today it's 80* and the top temp reached was 240*, eating through 16#'s charcoal in 5 hours. It's sitting there with a pork butt temp stalled at 165* while the cooker struggles along at 233*.
I can't use this damned thing anymore. Cooking is supposed to be fun. If I wanted to get pissed I'd play golf.
I'm done with it. :evil:

Yup. Water in the pan.
At 170* internal, I gave up and turkey bagged the butt with honey-apple juice-rub, and finished it in the kitchen oven.
I have to try the 18" model. That's what they made their rep on, so it has to be better than the 22.5 tub of crap.

Rag said:
Yup. Water in the pan.
At 170* internal, I gave up and turkey bagged the butt with honey-apple juice-rub, and finished it in the kitchen oven.
I have to try the 18" model. That's what they made their rep on, so it has to be better than the 22.5 tub of crap.
I'll give you $100 for your 22".PM me

Rag,

Your WSM is trying to do right by you. It takes a lot of energy and fuel to keep all that water hot. Especially in a 22

I use sand in my 18. Some people use a clay dish, some use foil balls. In my UDS, I use nothing at all.

The problem is water in the pan.

You should try it once before sell to
Nick.

Sorry Nick.

Clif is right about the water. When I switched to a UDS I only use 1/3 the coal I usto in my 22 wsm. I do know that the more gunky it got the better it ran and a bit cooler too. I never had trouble runnig mine. It would run about 275 full of meat all vents open with water in the pan.

Cliff H. said:
Rag,

Your WSM is trying to do right by you. It takes a lot of energy and fuel to keep all that water hot. Especially in a 22

I use sand in my 18. Some people use a clay dish, some use foil balls. In my UDS, I use nothing at all.

The problem is water in the pan.

You should try it once before sell to
Nick.

Sorry Nick.
+ one on the water.

I used foil wrapped bricks with foil balls to fill the gaps, covered with a couple layers of foil. Clean up was easy, just pull off the top foil layer.

I bid $101.00 8)

Hey Dats how you been? Glad to see you back to posting a bit. Now did you make the big Fat Tuesday deal down there. We need some nekked lady pics when you get time. When you headed back to the high country? In fact you best get cranked up purty quick. It will be 110 in the shade here in in God's Country before you know it.

bigwheel said:
Hey Dats how you been? Glad to see you back to posting a bit. Now did you make the big Fat Tuesday deal down there. We need some nekked lady pics when you get time. When you headed back to the high country? In fact you best get cranked up purty quick. It will be 110 in the shade here in in God's Country before you know it.

I skipped it. Too many boys in blue patrolling the road and too cheap to plop a few hundred down for a room to sleep it off. No plans on leaving town anytime soon so I'm gonna get to feel the heat. I spent a couple of years at 29 stumps, plenty hot there albiet not very humid.

just read about the crappy weber. have to say this is the first negative comment I've read about this unit.I am or was close to ordering the wsm 22.5. Can someone catch me up on the problems and fixes for this unit. Just want to get it right the first time before spending that kind of money.

Flathead, do not let the voice of one change your mind of buying a great product. This is part of the challenge, and fun for that matter, learning to use your equipment properly.

Most of the Pit Masters out there that use a WSM, do not use the water pan for water. They use it as a diffuser, and fill it with items that hold heat for instance ceramic briquets.

Rag,

Your WSM is trying to do right by you. It takes a lot of energy and fuel to keep all that water hot. Especially in a 22. I use sand in my 18. Some people use a clay dish, some use foil balls The problem is water in the pan..

He's right ! Put a half of a red brick in that pan or a pound of gravel or a pound of sand.....no water. Even just the pan itself as a heat shield.....You will see the difference. I learned this the hard way. Don't junk your weber.

Back
Top Bottom