Grilled Scallop Tacos with Black Bean Salsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finney

Master Chef
Savannah, GA and Somewhere near Lexington, NC
Grilled Scallop Tacos with Black Bean Salsa

Salsa
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups stemmed, seeded, finely diced ripe tomatoes
3/4 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and minced

Marinade
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons minced garlic

24 large sea scallops, about 1-1/2 pounds

6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1 cup finely shredded red cabbage

To make the salsa: In a medium bowl whisk the lime juice, orange juice, and salt. Add the remaining salsa ingredients. Mix, cover, and allow to sit at room temperature for about 2 hours. Just before serving, drain off and discard the accumulated liquid in the bottom of the bowl.

To make the marinade: In a medium bowl whisk the marinade ingredients.

Wash the scallops and remove the small, tough side muscle. Add the scallops to the marinade and stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Remove the scallops from the bowl and discard the marinade. Place the scallops on the grate 1 to 2 inches apart. Grill over Direct High heat until just opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.

Meanwhile, wrap three tortillas in each of two foil packets. Grill over Direct Medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes to warm and soften. Remove the scallops and tortillas from the grill.

To serve, give each person a warm tortilla and pass around the scallops and fillings so each can assemble their own taco.

Makes 6 small tacos

This sounds terrific! My husband likes Shrimp tacos from this wonderful chain of taco stands we have in Los Angeles called Poquita mas. They're just freshly grilled shrimp served in a corn totrilla with chopped onions, shopped cilantro and chopepd jalelpenos.

Your Scallop Tacos sound even better. I was planning on buying some scallops for the weekend too. We've been having Wahoo so often lately, I thought Scallops would be a nice change of pace.

Great post!

Yeah, it's easy to get tired of Wahoo! :)

(I should be so lucky) 'Round here, it's canned tuna or nuttin!

Smokehouse

I hear ya. I DO consider myself very lucky to have a source of plentiful free and freshly frozen deep sea fish. Two weeks ago, my husband's boss gifted us about 30 pounds more of frozen teriyaki marinade wahoo, regular wahoo, yellow fin Tuna and red snapper. So, I'm looking for new ways to cooks this stuff. We have Wahoo about once a week because we have so much of it and it's so tasty.

My advice to you all - make good friends with a Sport Fisherman - they can never store all their catch and are always giving some away. My husband's Boss donated a few hundred pounds to a relief agency for Katrina Relief and still he has plenty more to give to us. It's an expensive hobby, but one that has benefits for your friends!

Back
Top Bottom