Corn and Shrimp Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
From the CD.."Louisiana Recipes and Some That Should Be." Collected, Modified, Borrowed, Inherited by Willard M.Onellion.

I will help tweak it with asterisks.

Corn and Shrimp Soup

Makes 8 servings.

1 chopped red onion
4 stalk chopped celery *1

1 chopped green bell pepper *1/2

2 clove minced garlic *10

16 oz bag frozen sweet corn
1 10-oz can chopped tomatoes with chilies
6 oz can tomato paste *(spread out on a sheet pan and toast n the oven for a bit. Scrape it up and put it in the soup. Will kill the bitter flavor)

2 lb peeled shrimps
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper and cayenne
1 tsp sugar
2 c chicken broth *(Person would need some strong stock to withstand that much dilution. I would be tempted to use all broth preferable made with Minor's Brand Shrimp or Seafood base )

2 c water *skip
1 bunch thinly sliced green onions

Coat a large pot with non-stick cooking spray and saute onion, celery, green and garlic until tender. *(No no no..do not add the garlic till you get some liquid built up n the pot)
Add corn, tomatoes and green chilies,tomato paste, shrimp and seasonings. * (no shrimp yet)
Add chicken broth and bring to boil.

*(This young man was apparently impaired when he wrote this. That is way too long to cook shrimp. I vote to add them the last ten mins or so...or at least along with the green onyawns)

Lower heat and cook for 1 hour, adding water as needed to keep the consistency soupy.
Add green onions, simmer for 15 minutes.

Last edited:
I've heard that wild shrimp are tough and must be cooked an hour or more to be tender. Farm raised are more tender and take less time.

Hmmm..good point. I used to scoop them wild ones up in my push net down on Padre Island and they did not cook up a bit different than the store bought models. Now we used the little ones for bait and sold the leftovers to other dumb sportsmen for a nickle each out on the pier. Maybe them Coonass shrimps got so much pollution it makes them tough. Naw..aint no shrimps need to be punished for a solid hour..lol. I will stick to the orignal story.

I agree Nick about time on a grill, but this is soup, stew, or jambalaya type food. Bigwheel have you ever made this? You posted a recipe 1-13-2010 from Relishmag.com passed on from a lady at work that had shrimp simmer 20-30 min. My thinking that it could take longer with low heat like maybe 160-180 with wild shrimp.

Well have made a bunch of gumbo and normally try to give the shrimps five mins. or in that general vicinity..curl up turn a little bit red. I vaugely recall that recipe which I think was passed on by a school teacher. Give me a link to the message so I can figger out which way to testify..lol. Now I have cooked shrimp a lot longer time back in the dark ages but it seemed to dawn on me at some point..it made them tough. Now if a person was using frozen shrimp it would not hurt to add some time. Especially as if they are encased in a big ice ball or something like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom