Cajun shrimp stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
Cajun Shrimp stew recipe:

2lbs fresh large gulf shrimp peeled & de-veined
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup shortning or lard
1 med onion diced
2 bunches green onions chopped reserve 1/4 cup of tops for garnish
3 to 6 toes garlic (depending on size) fine diced or pressed
1/4 cup chopped celery
4 to 6 cups of seafood stock or water ( more if needed)
salt & pepper to taste or cajun season salt, Tony Chacheres is the best

Make a med dark roux or a 2 beer roux =
( the time it takes to drink 2 beers before they get hot.)
after roux is to color add onions & celery continue stirring for 5 min
add stock, garlic, salt & pepper
cook for 45 min then add shrimp cook for 15 min & serve over hot white rice.
with french bread
garnish with green onion tops

Makin a roux
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/ ... age221.jpg

everything but the shrimp
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/ ... age223.jpg

time to eat
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/ ... age225.jpg

Sounds a lot like Shrimp Gumbo where somebody forgot to add the okry:) Now my coonass pals say to make a roux it takes equal amounts of fat and flour. Notice you got that ratio about cut in half. Whuts up with that? Them coonasses been lying to me? Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Sounds a lot like Shrimp Gumbo where somebody forgot to add the okry:) Now my coonass pals say to make a roux it takes equal amounts of fat and flour. Notice you got that ratio about cut in half. Whuts up with that? Them coonasses been lying to me? Thanks.

bigwheel

Big,
Making any recipe Cajun or other style, their are more variations than one has fingers & toes to count with. The .5 to 1 ratio yeilds a less greasy
finished dish. The extra oil or fat has no flavor (unless its butter or bacon grease which has too low a smoking point to make roux with) & the finished roux will be a good consistancy to coat any trinity that will sautaed in the finished hot roux. Here is a fact I discovered some time ago: The darker one makes a roux the less it will thicken the sauce/gravy. It kinda losses some of its thickening factor. With this in mind one can ajust how much flower will be needed depending on how thick & how many quarts of gravy needed. An old wise tail which states;
A Cajun can look at rice field & tell you how much gravy it will take to cover the rice after its cooked :shock:

This stew recipe can also be used to make chicken stew I pefer to 1/2 roast the seasoned-bone in chicken in an oven before adding to the gravy.

And I don't like okra so I don't use it. The 2 stews discused are a traditionaly prepaired this way at mom & pop meat & 3 dinners & cafes across the south
As far as gumbo I like a file` gumbo made with fresh file`powder, (I make my own). The differece is astounding!

Hey Nick,
I like good beer too, But all them bottles get too heavy to tote out into the trash can ;)
My favorie beer is Guinness Draft, whats yours?

Hey 007 thanks for them clarifications and inputs. I like them file gumbos myself...but must confess to loving okry like a hawg loves slop. It just one of them childhood comfort food thangs I guess.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom