WHOLE PIG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
Are you gonna cook it butterflied or in the "running pig" position? If you gonna cook butterflied, i can give you a little help.

cant help on the running pig. When i cook a pig, I cook it butterflied, skin down the whole time, no flipping. I dont inject at the beginning, nor do i mop, but i do salt real good. When the pig juices start to flow, they puddle in the rib area. The salt melts and mixes with the pig juice. I then take my injector and suck up the pig juice and inject that into the hams and shoulder. I do this 3-4 times, and always try to put a little extra juice into the hams because they are leaner. This usually turns out a good tasting pig. Also another thing I do at the beginning is to rub the skin down really good with peanut oil. Then I sprinkle REAL heavy salt or a sugar free rub like Butt Rub onto the skin. The last hour, I crank up the heat to 325-350 {yes I use gas http://www.wilmingtongrill.com/pig_cooker/} to crisp up the skin really good. After that hour, I inject the juice one more time, cut the heat off and let him rest about 30 minutes. Folks love the skin as much as the meat. This aint no contest stuff, this real eating stuff. And dont forget to have fun :D

Dang that sounds like work. You ever try letting the puddled juice fend for itself? Just checking.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Dang that sounds like work. You ever try letting the puddled juice fend for itself? Just checking.

bigwheel

Work dont bother me, I'm fat but not lazy :shock: . As for the juice, to me it tastes better in the pig than on top of the pig :D

nice description Tim....the skin is my worst part, yet my
favorite part when done right....I rarely do it right.

You bringing that rig to Myrtle? I'd like to take a look
at it.

Captain Morgan said:
nice description Tim....the skin is my worst part, yet my
favorite part when done right....I rarely do it right.

You bringing that rig to Myrtle? I'd like to take a look
at it.
Captain, I'm not comming to to the beach. Mamma has me on a short leash.

Back
Top Bottom