Walter`s Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalterSC

Head Chef
Pulled Pork Barbecue
This is a Carolina-style pulled pork barbecue recipe.
Prep Time : 15 min
Cook Time : 6 hr
Cuisine : Southern
Occasion : Cookout
INGREDIENTS:
1 boneless pork butt (about 5-6 pounds)
For Rub:
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
2 teaspoons cayenne, ground
For Baste:
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup Bourbon whiskey
1 cup water
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne, ground
PREPARATION:
In a small mixing bowl, combine all rub ingredients. Coat pork shoulder with seasonings and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
Preheat grill for medium heat. Place pork shoulder on grill and allow to smoke using hickory or oak chips or wood. Make sure wood chips are soaked and drained before using. Add charcoal and wood chips as necessary to keep temperature at medium, or between 200 - 225°F. Smoke pork shoulder for 5-6 hours or until internal temperatures reach 185°F. Use baste every 20 minutes during the last few hours of cooking. Remember to boil any remaining basting sauce before using it on shredded pork.

Finney said:
Sounds good Walter. Might have to get it a try.
I'll be doing it 'lower' and 'slower' (and longer) though.

Thats what I love about BBQ there are so many ways to do things and all of them are good, more people should join this board you can learn alot !!

Hey Chris, How much lower would you go? He states that he cooks it between 200 - 225. I usually do bone in and take mine up to 195* which works to about 1 3/4 hours per pound.

I like to inject with the following basting sauce, it's not an original but belongs to a mod from another forum:

· 4 cups apple juice
· 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
· 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
· 2 tablespoon dry mustard
· 4 tablespoon brown sugar
· 3 bay leaf
· 6 cloves of garlic
· 2 teaspoon ground ginger
· 1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
· 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)

Mix together in a pot that will not react to the vinegar, bring to a simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will stay refrigerated for several weeks, if it lasts that long.

Inject and rub immediately before smoking, I cannot tell any difference between that and letting it sit overnight. Smoke till 200 degrees, foil and wrap in old towel, put in cooler for 1-2 hours, then pull. When pulling I sprinkle with additional rub and sauce. It's great.

John

Back
Top Bottom