Boars Head Shoulder Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Got the Boars Head Shoulder bacon in the smoker taday. One a the items were thinin a addin ta the cash & carry line.

img_178199_0_454a5626be82e4ed38974872c263112a.jpg

The bacon in the cure, cured fer 2 weeks.

img_178199_1_0d74a21f285262d4d6c596c740c311c1.jpg

After a 2 hour soak, then fried up a bit, mighty tastey stuff! Then dried fer several hours an then inta the smoker. Will post some more q-view after the smoke!

Looks good HB. Now whut cut o meat we dealing with here? If you don't mind a person being nosey of course. Would assume it some part of the shoulder of course :shock: but then I get to thinking maybe it some part of a Boar's Head of which I am unfamiliar. Thanks.

bigwheel

This batch was made with a boneless pork butt. Just usein the name cause it's kinda traditional an catchy. Were hopin it will be a good seller, not ta mention just plain good eatin!

Well bet it be delicious. I tried my hand on a deal sorta like this called "buckboard bacon" which was the rage at one time. Mine come out way closer to a salty country ham than to bacon for some reason. That name Boar's Head denotes the brand name of a high dollar purveyor of deli style cold cuts in this area. I know this cuz the warden won't buy nothing but Boar's Head honey ham etc. Not sure but Sysco used to have a heckuva a deal on boneless butts. They come about two butts per cryo and about 3 bundles to the case..meaning 60 lbs of boneless pork which could be used in twenty pound increments. Use one and leave the rest in the freezer for another day if you dont need it right then etc. It come froze harder than a hooers heart. Think we give 1.61 per pound but that been several years back. Sure Algores corn scam has made it go up by now.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom