Redneck Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fuzzy1

Assistant Cook
A little video on my Thanksgiving turkey this year...

Be easy on me. A lot of people have very different opinions/passions/traditions around their Turkey dinner. This is just one man humbly sharing his recipe. Enjoy!

Fuzzy's Kitchen - Redneck Turkey - YouTube

Fuzzy's Redneck Turkey

The following recipe is a demonstration on how to prepare my Redneck Turkey on a Big Green Egg.

Fair Warning: This Turkey won't win a pageant...but it will take any taste test...any day. ABORT this recipe if you plan on impressing your friends will a centerpiece turkey.

Your comments, questions, and concerns are welcome...and I'd appreciate it if you would share your experience or tweaks to this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 Large Whole Turkey
1 Large Aluminum Roasting Pan
1 Jar of Creole Butter Injection
1 Bottle of Vegetable Spread
Olive Oil
2-3 bottles of Poultry Rub (1 type or many)
Maple Wood Chips
Chicken Broth

Pairs With: Your bird should be juicy enough...but make some gravy or use the drip pain juices to render your own gravy if you must.

Suggested Side(s):
Mac 'N Cheese
Green-beans
Broccoli Casserole
Stuffing (or Dressing)
Sweet Potato Souffle
Mashed Potatoes
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Eggnog
Can you tell it's the holidays!?

Method Of Cooking:
Big Green Egg (other smoker or grill) on a vertical roasting stand placed in an aluminum roaster (as your drip pan). Place the standing bird (in pan) directly on your cast iron grate...which will be placed directly on the coals (no fire ring). Fill your aluminum roaster with 32 ounces of Chicken Broth. Large amount of Natural Lump Charcoal at 180-220 degrees for 40-60 minutes per pound (cook times will vary based on Egg temperature and Turkey size).

If you do not have a vertical roasting stand... place the bird on a V-Rack with the breasts facing up... OR... skip the Chicken Broth in the Aluminum Roaster and lay flat in there.

Total Cook/Prep Time: 45:10:00...10 minutes of prep, 24 hours to brine, 21 hours for cooking (if your bird is 27 pounds... otherwise 40-60 minutes per pound...or 165-180 internal temperature) ...basically two seasons of 24.

Feeds: 20 lumberjacks, 27 "growing boys", or 35 people.

Go with an 8-12 pound Turkey for a family dinner.

Leftovers? Refrigerate turkey and make turkey and cheese sliders in your toaster oven. When you're approaching 1 week after the big event...use turkey to make a white-turkey chili to warm you up.

I like it too. Can tell by looking..lol. Missed cooking the annual turkey lurkey this year. First time I can recall in 44 years of house arrest...er I mean wedded bliss maybe?...which we did not have the blessed event at our humble crib. It just dont seem right. Was nice not to have to fool with it though..lol. The Arkie Branch of the clan fed us mighty good. Jeannio Turkey breast. Mighty tasty. Have nibbled on many home cooked barnyard avians which was not as good. If somebody else is buying and cooking it..I do not nag.

Last edited:
We didn't have a turkey this year either. Reason is simple. The woman that has has me under house arrest for 44 years (next April) wanted grilled filets, so that is what I fixed.

Ahh always good to hear about the adventures of long term inmates. Guessing the fillets were found suitable since you dont seem to be locked down in solitary confinement.

Haha... I love these replies. Being only in house arrest for 6 months... I can't really relate (yet). Glad y'all enjoyed my video...and I hope you get an opportunity to give it a shot soon!

Gosh..being a newly wed is just too kewlish. Congrats. Your living in what will be called the the good old days at some point in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom