Java Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
Code:
Java Chicken

A delicately flavoured Indonesian curry. Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

• 3 lbs chicken
• 4 brazil nuts, ground
• 1/2 tsp chilli powder
• 2 tsp coriander ground
• 1 tsp galangal (laos powder)
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1/2 tsp turmeric, ground
• 4 tbsp oil
• 2 onions chopped
• 3 cups coconut milk
• 2 in cassia bark
• 1 lemon grass stalk or 1 tsp powder
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• salt
#

Preparation:

Joint chicken and cut across bone into serving pieces.

Mix nuts, chilli, coriander, galangal, garlic and turmeric to a paste with a little oil and rub over the chicken. Leave for a few hours.

Heat remaining oil in wok or pan and fry onions until golden. Add chicken pieces and fry until golden.

Gradually add coconut milk, stirring while bringing to the boil to prevent curdling. Add lemon grass and cassia and simmer uncovered for about 30 minutesor until the sauce is thick.

Stir in lemon juice and add salt to taste.

Serve with plain rice and sambals.

bknox said:
One more thing. What is sambals?

Sambal means salsa or sauce in their language,,, just something to smother the food in....Are you going to make? I might do it soon.

I may make it this week. I had a fairly bad experience with pork loin Saturday and now have 3 pounds of dry lion I need to eat first. If I can make, I will tell you what I think.

Any ideas on 3 pounds of over cooked pork loin? I am thinking somekind of pork curry and chick pea soup as a side the the Java Chicken.

bknox, When you make it try to take pics and post them so we can see how gooooooooooooooooood it came out!!! :D

Made the recipe and it was really good! A couple things I had to do. I could not find my Tumeric so I used Anchiote and I had to replace the Brazil nuts with Pecans. Also instead of making Sambal I used a mango hot sauce I made a while back and served it over thinly sliced cabbage. Serving Asian food on cabbage is something I would normally do with a curry dish, which this reminded of.

If you make this recipe I would suggest having a snack first as the smell will fill your kitchen and you will become really hungry. It was awsome

Also I cooked this in my iron skillet and should of used a wok. The iron made the sauce a bit dark. Did not really effect the flavor just the color. Also I think next time I make this I may use chunks of boneless chicken. The chicken as I used it was a bit big in the pan and was hard to keep stirred.

javachicken.jpg

I had fruit that needed to be eaten and was good with the sweet hot of the Java Chicken

Thanks for the recipe.

Cool deal Bryan!! I'm glad you liked it. It's funny that when you sub things it still tastes killer. I do that all the time myself.. Your welcome for the recipe bro..

SS,

I am preparing for cooler weather and digging up some curry recipes and I remembered this thread. Would you like a recipe for making a pretty good curry paste. I also have a recipe for curry chicken with potatoes that is excellent. I will have to find it but worth making.

The paste is a bit of a pain to make but laste a long time in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom