What to do with Bottom Round?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Well I've never cooked a bottom round roast before, but I've done other cuts; prime rib, chuck rolls, etc. and any beef taken to 160 will be past medium IMHO. If you take it to 160 and let it rest it will probably rise to 165-170. If I was looking for medium I'd pull it at 135-140 and let it rest and come up to 140-145 or so, that should be perfect medium.

As always, your mileage results may vary. :LOL:

papadave said:
I have a bottom round roast to cook on my Primo. Can it be used for pulled beef or is it best for sliced meat for sandwiches? Should it be low and slow?
If it's best for slicing can I stop it at 160 degrees internal and have it medium?

You could do pulled beef, but it will be drier than you would like. Chuck is a better option for pulled beef.

The best way to cook what you have is to cook indirect 250-275* range and with it being a roast cook to an internal temp of 110*, then remove the roast and open your bottom and top vent on your Primo until you get in the 450*-500* range and then finish the roast by searing until your desired finished temperature. Let cool for 15 minutes then slice thin against the grain. Good luck, hope this helps!

Bottom Round is the toughest roast cut due to no internal fat. so don't cook past med rare, & like Larry said slice thin for sandwiches

Back
Top Bottom