Italian Fatty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
OK, going to do a rack of beef ribs on Sunday and want to try this "Fattie" thing. Searched my freezer and I do have some brauts and some Italian saugage -both in natural casings.

I suspect that the brauts might not work for this application, so I'm inclined to use the Italian sausage.

To make a fattie remove the casing and form in a 1lb roll (like a chub from Kroger), roll in a rub and then smoke along side the ribs till the fattie gets to 170 degrees. Remove, cool and slice thin for a snack.

Is the general concept?
DATs

I've never used regular Italian sausage for a fatty, but I suppose it would work, don't see why it wouldn't. One difference, I usually only take mine to 165.

Yep, you got it!

dats, Last weekend I made the Italian fatties. I took the sausage out of the casings and rolled it out flat on the counter. I then put a layer of prisuto(sp) evenly over it. Then I put a layer of provolone cheese down keeping it 1/2" from the edges. Then roll it up and seal the ends. I put it on the smoker until it hit 180*. It was great! Let it cool a little before you slice it so the cheese doesn't ooze out! Check ou the pictures here.

http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f2/b ... t4536.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom