Brining or Not Brining, Smoked Meat vs. Corned Smoked Meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
Hi folks. I'd like input from the group. Maybe I'll post a Poll.

I visited one of Toronto's hot smoked meat places tonight. In fact, 2 of them. First one was a Southern style bbq house, the second was a Jewish Deli.

The first one was out of smoked brisket (this might be the answer to my question), and the second one had some left over. The Deli had a sign up indicating that it took 12 or 14 days to cure the meat, meaning there was a lengthy brining process. But I thought I'd try some.

Now, let's remember, Montreal has some pretty nice smoked meat, of the Jewish style, at a place called Schwartz's. Whenever I'm in Montreal, the place has lineups.

Now, I bought a pound of their smoked brisket, which was also brined. It had that texture you would associate with Pastrami, which I think is what this meat is, as it's corned, then smoked.

I'll post some pics below, but I'd like to see what the preference of the group is. Mine is the non-brined meat. The corned beef texture seems like the meat is tired, processed in some way.

In any case, here are some pics of my last brisket smoke (with Zatarains, lovely stuff) and their brined smoked brisket (Pastrami)

Theirs:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

...and mine:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Re: Brining or Not Brining, Smoked Meat vs. Corned Smoked Me

BeeRich said:
Now, I bought a pound of their smoked brisket, which was also brined. It had that texture you would associate with Pastrami, which I think is what this meat is, as it's corned, then smoked.

Yes, 'their' brisket is pastrami......and the pastrami and the fresh brisket are two totally different animals in my opinion. Both are equally good in their own right and really shouldn't be compared because they're not the same thing.

Also the 'pastrami' in the pic is the point, (aka: deckle) portion of the brisket, which I think is the more flavorful cut of the brisket, whether corned, brined or fresh smoked. Your brisket contains both the flat and the point as well.

Hiya Larry. That's what I was thinkin. But I was getting into the whole smoked meat thing, then they toss that soggy stuff at me. Disappointed.

My brisket contains everything, until I get to it, then it contains only memories. I love smoked brisket. Absolutely brilliant stuff. Toronto is being taken over by smoked meats, but I can't find any as good as the one I made. I want to perfect it before I consider a business out of it though.

Cheers

Well have to join with them other nice fellas and/or fellaettes...I likes it both ways but much prefer to have mine corned thank ya. Now somebody gonna have to give yall some brisket slicing lessons. I send you my free email booklet on how to do right. Shipping and handling run only five bucks. Let me know. Chow looked great by the way. Not sure whut is this love affair with Zatarains? All that cajun stuff I have bumped into seems to be red peppa and salt. Way way way too salty for ribs. Could see a person getting away with it on brisket cuz it so tic..if you get my drift eh? :)

bigwheel

Yeah I know how to cut the stuff, but I don't bother. I do't like it all thin. The ribs were Wolfe Original. I'm finding it too sweet, rotisserie'd 2 birds tonight with Zats and Wolfe together.

[youtube:11mipdlk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98qW8JDOIk[/youtube:11mipdlk]

bigwheel said:
Well have to join with them other nice fellas and/or fellaettes...I likes it both ways but much prefer to have mine corned thank ya. Now somebody gonna have to give yall some brisket slicing lessons. I send you my free email booklet on how to do right. Shipping and handling run only five bucks. Let me know. Chow looked great by the way. Not sure whut is this love affair with Zatarains? All that cajun stuff I have bumped into seems to be red peppa and salt. Way way way too salty for ribs. Could see a person getting away with it on brisket cuz it so tic..if you get my drift eh? :)

bigwheel

I'm with you BW . . . far too salty!

Raw brisket is brined for 7 to 14 days which turns it into corned beef. Then, if you smoke the corned beef it turns into pastrami.

Yeah that's what I don't like about it. I marinated the last point overnight and found it somewhat coming apart.

If I can remember (posted Jan 24, done 2 briskets since then), I made up a marinade of water, soy sauce, vinegar, etc. There's a video in here somewhere that explains all that.

In any case, I have brined the next one, and injected the one after that. Injection seems the best, but that too can be drier than I want. For a piece that's covered with a fat layer, it's surprisingly dry. The high temp cook is looking like it might need to be tried.

Well somebody who can concoct a marinate that will turn a raw point to mush overnight got to be very gifted..using battery acid or maybe Lea N Perrins in the mix etc. Yall got me laughing too hard here. Kindly quit that:)

bigwheel

According to my new database...last one, which was the best (but still too dry), 195°F. I would like to improve on that, make it moist without looking like Pastrami.

Back
Top Bottom