Bigwheel's Prize Winning Beef Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Bigwheel's Prize Winning Cowtown Beef Stew (Rev 9/19/07)

1 3 lb. chuck roast (defatted, degristled and cut into 1" chunks)
1 1/2 large onion chopped
1 stalk chopped celery
1/2 bell pepper chopped
1/2 cup flour (or thereabouts)
1/4 cup dried minced onions
1 can diced stewed tomaters
1 can diced Rotel tomaters
1 qt. good beef broth
4-5 taters peeled and cubed
2 lbs fresh carrots scraped and chopped
1 bay leaf
1/2 t. dried thyme leaves
salt and pepper
1/2 cup corn oil -- (or therabouts)
1/2 cup burgundy wine
2 cloves garlic
1 T. Wooster Sauce
1 T. Spicy A-1 with Tabasco

Preheat a big stewpot..add the oil and let it heat up too. Season the meat
with salt and pepper, then coat with the flour. Brown up the beef in the hot
oil being sure to scrape the bottom regular with a metal spoon. Add the
onion and the bell pepper. Cook for a few min then add the dried onion and the wine. Cook it down till it forms a thick goo and the wine disappears..then add everything but the taters, celery and carrots. Keep scraping that bottom!! Put on a low fire with a lid and simmer till the meat gets nearly tender (hour or two) then add the carrots...when the carrots get nearly tender add the taters and celery. When the taters and celery get fully tender start eating. Accompany with a big cast iron skillet full of homemade cornbread and fresh cow butter...mmmm..mmm. Pass the Franks or Sirriachi hotsauce on the side. Big mug of Ezra Brooks and Coke to drink.

bigwheel

Yum.. I'll try your reicpe next time.. thanks Bigwheel.. "Remember the alamo" !

For some unkown reason I don't get notified when new post comes out in the recipe section. Looks fine BW

Well it been raining like cats and dawgs nearly all week down here and it chilly...and I aint drunk no antifreeze laden hooch in a couple of weeks cept for a swig or two the warden didnt know about. So..I decided it be good to make some soup or stew...or as me and Rachel calls it Stoup. Had the warden snag the major ingredients yesterday and was gonna make it last night but was too lazy so we had corn dawgs. Today in the AM went and drug the huge high dollar All Clad stew pot out of the camper and grabbed a Bay Leaf whilst I was in there. I started looking around for a recipe and lo and behold I found one over in the recipe section. Think I will try it or at least a reasonable facimile:) Got to get through breakfast first and the warden done burnt the bacon. I heards screams coming from the kitchen and the air smells like burnt bacon. She also say she aint making no Pet Milk gravy. Swear I'm gonna back hand the fire outta that woman one of these days.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well it been raining like cats and dawgs nearly all week down here and it chilly...and I aint drunk no antifreeze laden hooch in a couple of weeks cept for a swig or two the warden didnt know about. So..I decided it be good to make some soup or stew...or as me and Rachel calls it Stoup. Had the warden snag the major ingredients yesterday and was gonna make it last night but was too lazy so we had corn dawgs. Today in the AM went and drug the huge high dollar All Clad stew pot out of the camper and grabbed a Bay Leaf whilst I was in there. I started looking around for a recipe and lo and behold I found one over in the recipe section. Think I will try it or at least a reasonable facimile:) Got to get through breakfast first and the warden done burnt the bacon. I heards screams coming from the kitchen and the air smells like burnt bacon. She also say she aint making no Pet Milk gravy. Swear I'm gonna back hand the fire outta that woman one of these days.

bigwheel

"To the moon Alice..." :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom