Beef Bourguignon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
This is a great recipe I use often. It is a good crock pot recipe too!

Beef Bourguignon
Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Beef Bourguignon

Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 1-1/4 hours

Ingredients

* 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
* 1 tablespoon cooking oil
* 1-1/2 cups chopped onion (3 medium)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1-1/2 cups Pinot Noir or Burgundy wine
* 3/4 cup beef broth
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 2 bay leaves
* 3 cups whole fresh mushrooms
* 2 cups 3/4-inch pieces carrot (4 medium)
* 1 cup pearl onions, peeled, or frozen small whole onions
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
* 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
* 3 cups hot cooked noodles or 1 recipe Mashed Potatoes (see page 00)

Directions

1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven brown half of the meat in the hot oil; remove meat from Dutch oven. Add remaining meat, chopped onion, and garlic to Dutch oven. Cook and stir until meat is brown and onion is tender. Return all meat to Dutch oven.

2. Stir in wine, broth, thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Add mushrooms, carrot, and pearl onions. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.

3. In a small bowl stir together flour and butter until smooth; stir into meat mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in crumbled bacon. Serve with hot noodles.

4. Makes 6 servings (6 cups)

5. Slow-cooker directions: Brown meat, chopped onion, and garlic in hot oil as above. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker layer mushrooms, carrot, and pearl onions. Omit the flour and butter or margarine. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca. Place meat mixture on top of vegetables. Add thyme, marjoram, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Decrease wine to 1 1/4 cups and beef broth to 1/2 cup; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in bacon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/ ... /BeefB.jpg

I make it in an old heavy pot on the stove top. Works enough for me.

I have never owned a dutch oven. I want one but hubby seems to think that $179.99 for a LeCreuset is a little excessive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom