Anyone with a good meatball recipie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Div

Senior Cook
Looking for a good meatball recipie for the oven ...would like something for a good large meatball that will be moist and fluffy

Well I got the best meatball recipe in the world but they designed to be cooked Noo Yawk Eyetalian style as in poached in mater sauce. Not sure whut would happen to em in the oven. Guess it might work. It may already be in the recipe section I aint sure. Found this on Google. Its from a post on another forum.

bigwheel

>Annie Mooney's Noo Yawk Eyetalian Meatballs"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since yall is on a meatball kick today and big thanks to HFD for his recipe from Luke..thought I might as well share this one. It fairly similar to the one he posted. Searched out the recipe section and couldn't find it so hopefully it aint already been posted. This is by far the best meatballs I ever ate. The recipe came from a januine Roman Catholic Eyetalian Lady from Noo Yawk City who ran a Deli and BBQ joint in Colleyville, TX. Her name is Annie Mooney of course. Since closed but did manage to pilfer her recipe afore she departed. She used em for making meatball sandwiches but reckon a person could use em for whutever purpose a meatball might be used. As I recall it went something like this:

"Annie Mooney's New Yawk Eyetalian Meatballs"

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lb. bulk Italian sausage
10-12 cloves fresh minced garlic or more (is impossible to get too much)
1 cup Progresso brand Eyetalian breadcrumbs..soaked in water
2 eggs
1 t. oregeno
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesiam cheese
1 T. salt
1 t. black pepper
3 16 oz. cans tomato sauce (use three different brands of sauce)
2 T. red wine or 2 t. sugar

Soak the bread crumbs in water for about 15 mins then drain and squeeze out some of the water...still want it pretty moist. Mix up everything except the sauce and the wine. Form into meatballs about 1 inch diameter. Add the wine to the sauce and bring to a simmer in a non-reactive pan. Add the meatballs, cover and simmer with a lid till done..about an hour. Check occasionally and if you get any grease floating on top of the sauce..dip it out with a spoon.

She served them as a sandwich on hoagy rolls..with meatballs down the middle covered with sauce. Fresh grated Mozzarella (sic) on top. Toasted up in the oven just a little. Bunch of napkins on the side. The reason for the three different brands of sauce was because she say one brand was too sweet..the other too salty etc. If you mix em up it supposed to give a mo well balanced flavor profile. If you dont have any wine sub out a t. or two of sugar. She claimed the wine or sugar cut the acid..but I don't see how since wine is acidic it can cut much acid. I just repeating it as I was tole.

bigwheel

prolly gunna give this a try ...is that teaspoons or tablespoons ?

Little t.= teaspoon
Big T. = Tablespoon

I think most real meatballs are purty similar. If you poach em in tomater sauce thats Eyetalian style. If you brown them off in Olive Oyl in a skillet thats Scicilian style. If you bake em in the oven thats sissy style:) Good luck.

bigwheel

Yeah I have a real tough time getting the oil right and the meatballs seem to come out very heavy ... been trying to get a light fluffy meatball that the fork just melts through ...I picked up some sausage and going to try the sauce stile

Back
Top Bottom