Vinegar sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Raine is female.

So the difference between Piedmont and Lex is added catsup? Just not as heavy as western (mountain style)? I might try both Pied and Lex.

Believe I'll order some of Raine's...HER sauce looks pretty good.

Capt'n,
If you took a little of the heat out of Scott's, it would be almost like Lexington Style. I think if you added a Tbs of catsup to a bottle, it would be very close. But I will add, I've never done it. If I did, I would start with a teaspoon per bottle and go from there.

Raine said:
Don't know why I couldn't get the image to post in the msg.

No worries, the link works. I have to admit, I was born in eastern NC, but grew up in western NC. My earliest memories of barbecue were the whole hog homecomings my church had every October. Our sauce was indeed a thin sauce but with tomato. Of course it was good.

The regional differences are fun to argue about, but I've rarely found a bbq sauce I didn't like. I did get a bottle of Jardines Pecan sauce from a friend who went to Texas, and couldn't stand it. I like the heavier sauces on chicken or meatloaf. I just like to stir up trouble when talking sauce for pulled pork....still believe it has to be majority vinegar, which Piedmont and Lexington style is.

I tasted the Cheerwine sauce the other weekend. Not on Pork, just tasted it. Not bad.

Nothing goes better with a BBQ sanwich than Cheerwine. I feel sorry for you people that don't live where they sell Cheerwine. Cheerwine Link

Growing up around of Salisbury, one of my earliest memories was standing out front of the Cheerwine building and watching the bottles moving on the equipement to be filled and capped. They spiraled down from overhead in a set of rails that would rival any roller coaster. Gleaming green glass on chrome rails... it was like magic. Good to be a kid when such was still considered entertainment.

Same goes with watching the burgers cook at Hardee's when the still had the open flame and the conveyers. :shock:

Chris, I know Cheerwine very well...do you know a family that lived in Salisbury called the Wilkersons? The patriarch was a Presbyterian minister, which leads me to think you won't know them.

There was Kay (mom), Kevin, Kerry, Karen and Katie.

Back on Scotts Sauce, what do you guys like to use for rub that works good? I've got alot of PP W/Texas BBQ Rub #1 & 2 downstairs and it seems to be ok...

Yeah Bill, we did sort of wonder on this one... :roll:
I never used the TXBBQrubs :shock: so I don't know about those. But I have Scotts (at least at some point in the eating) on almost every butt I have cooked. Once I go to left overs, I start trying all the sauces I have in the kitchen just to see the differences. I guess I should keep notes.

Cappie, I don't think that I know of them although the name does sound familiar.

Raine, never eaten there. Good huh? If I'm ever driving through I'll try and remember that.
Which place do you usually go to in Lexington?

Back
Top Bottom