Simple Non - Fried Okra Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I love okry and tomatoes. That takes a can of chopped okry and a can of diced Tomatoes..Rotels if you like. Recall back in school they serve it every so often and I was apparently the only kid in school who liked it. Everybody gave me their portion. I eat it up like a little piglet eating slop. Few onyawns and garlic prob perk it up real nice. You can also use fresh ingredients if you got some.

bigwheel said:
Well I love okry and tomatoes. That takes a can of chopped okry and a can of diced Tomatoes..Rotels if you like. Recall back in school they serve it every so often and I was apparently the only kid in school who liked it. Everybody gave me their portion. I eat it up like a little piglet eating slop. Few onyawns and garlic prob perk it up real nice. You can also use fresh ingredients if you got some.
Thanks. It's fresh okra.

That will work great. Now is you a deslimer? I never bothered with it back in the good old days but here lately I been desliming for gumbos and such stuff. If you want to use that step throw your cut up okry into a med hot skillet and toss it around and scrape the bottom till the snot quits running out of it. Take about 20 mins for a largish batch. Then boil it up with the tomatoes and whatever else you want to add. Stewed tomatoes work well too since they got all kinds of little veggie goodies in there.

Excellent suggestion on additions to the stoup:) Now somebody dunk some andoullia and shrimps down in there we could start speaking of Norleans style gumbo..sorta. Speaking of half fast yankee cajuns whut has happened to the Boy from Baton Rouge? Did he pass and nobody spoke of it perhaps?

Well just trying to practice on some of my fancy frog eating frenchie speeling skills Wee wee? Somebody prob need to figger out some way to poke a roux down its gullet:) Now that is pronounced Roo..as in kangaroo or the aussie abbreviation thereof. lol

While I may not be cajun I was born in Lower Arkansas and have spent a few nights in Baton Rouge, Laughie-ette, and elsewhere and can appreciate the complexities of frenchie speeling and pronunciations skills.

Well all I can claim is being a Cajun at Heart. I been around a few of em over the years and faithfully watched every episode of Justeens cooking show on commie channel 13. Even cooked up in the kitchen everything he made on the show. Can tell ya for a cook he made a great comedian. He aint never come up with anything fit to eat other than his hushpuppies are about the best around. He could make good garlic bread but he cooked it wrong. His slathering up goop was very good. Had parmesium cheese fresh garlic and real butter in it. How can a person go wrong with that combo?

Well to be safe I would suggest the cook don't get too soused. Seem to recall some who passed out and fell over into the fire. On the quick side it usually sobers them up fairly rapidly.

Okra Pilau (Gracious Goodness...Charleston)

5 strips bacon
3 cups okra, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup rice
Salt and pepper to taste

Fry bacon in heavy dutch oven, drain & crumble. Saute onion in bacon drippings until tender. Add okra and bacon and toss until
okra is well-coated (about 3 minutes). Add chicken broth, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes covered. Fluff with a fork before serving. Serves 4 to 6.

Can also saute okra and onion in bacon drippings until tender. Then add a can or two of stewed tomatoes along with the crumble bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Great over white rice with your choice of hot sauce.

Hope this helps, enjoy.

Yeppers pappy and some other forms of the fish kingdom..little smoked sausage. This could be the makings of a meal:)

Back
Top Bottom