Pickled Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is from my files on allrecipes.com

I made it once and it was good. I did not use the food coloring.

Pickled Sausage

"A convenience store treat that you can make in your own home. Cooked smoked sausage is pickled in a red brine for an irresistible indulgence."
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups water
2 tablespoons salt
4 cups distilled white vinegar

10 drops red food coloring
(optional)
10 links smoked beef sausage
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the water, salt, vinegar, and red food coloring. Bring to a boil. Cut the sausage links into halves or thirds, depending on size, and place into a large sterile jar. Pour the hot vinegar mixture in with the sausage, secure the lid, and let stand for 2 days before serving.

Mmmm..I love that stuff...may just have to make a jar, and some pickled eggs to go along with it ! Now, if I could only get Witt to buy some beer...

john pen said:
Mmmm..I love that stuff...may just have to make a jar, and some pickled eggs to go along with it ! Now, if I could only get Witt to buy some beer...
I might have to give that recipe a shot...along with some beer

Made a few batches of those things using various pickling strategies. Will give out a hint or two. Once you dunk em in the vinegar and give it a day or two they will cough up some vinegar/acidic soluoble (sic) multi colored floaties and fat..chunky stuff which normally dont come out of a sausage but do in this case. Can make em look real unappealing. Best plan I have seen to cure this problemo is to start out by letting em set in pure white vinegar for a few days in the ice box...that cause all the floaties to rise out...then you dump it out (rinse em if you want) and start over with whutever floozie pickle recipe you want to use. The juice off of canned beets gives them a nice color if you want some red in your final pickle.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom