My Dad, the pork chop hound. Give me soemthing to WOW him!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
My Dad is a Pork Chop hound. He's due to arrive on the 30th for a short stay in the North. He and Mom are from up here, retired, and moved to FL...of course. :)

They'll be here for two months. I've pertty much got the real Q hook into him. He's a weekend blacksmith and is already toying with the idea of building a pit! I tolf him to start with the WSM first to learn the art, then switch to sticks if he wants.

Anyway....I'm looking for some killer pork chop recipes. I'm talking over 2 inchers here !

His favorite so far is some with a teriyaki marinade

I've done thick boneless loin chops on the grill and they are fantastic, but I don't do more with them than season. I suppose they could be flavor brined to your liking...
On the frugal side I have done blade (shoulder) chops in mushroom soup etc. baked in a casserole dish, something like 350F for an hour. They need a little picking through after cooking but the meat is wonderful and I love the sauce with some basmati rice. Can't beat the price. Hey, maybe this would be even better done slower....maybe even in your smoker

Scotty, I just made these last weekend:

6or7 pork chops, bone-in (around 2" thick)

brine in: 64oz. apple juice or cider
1 cup b grade maple syrup
1 cup morton kosher salt
5 count off a handle-sized captain morgan

brine for a couple of hours (I was at the bar so they went about 2.5 hours)
give them a little rinse after brining to remove some salt coverage

smoke with maple and apple mixture (half and half), try to keep the temp down at about 215* to 225*, these chops cook pretty quick

the ones on the top rack took about 1 hour, 15 min+/- to get to 145*
the ones on the bottom took about another half hour after putting them on top....

make a finishing sauce for them: 8oz tomato sauce
1/8 cup (can't remember how many tbsp. that is) of the b grade maple syrup
1/8 cup cider syrup
1 tbsp worcestshire
1 tbsp captain morgan
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
dashes of salt and pepper
1 tbsp cider vinegar

bring this to a boil and then simmer for 15 min. to half hour

the best part about making this meal (other than it being really easy) is that you can do the chops and sauce a day or two before. I don't usually sauce them until I reheat on the grill. When you want to eat 'em, slap 'em on a blazing grill to reheat and make some grill marks, sauce 'em and you're good to go. It also lets you try them first to see if you want to make any mods to the sauce.....

p.s. I got the cider syrup at that cider hollow place on rte 100 just south of Stowe - try some of their mustards too, they're pretty good.

good luck,

Rob

sorry, forgot to include the vinegar for the sauce, added that....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom