My cornbread sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Any easy recipes? I like the kind that have some cake mix in it to make it fluff up a little, but I'll try anything at this point.

Here is Keri C's Blue Ribbon recipe

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups plain cornmeal (not cornmeal mix or self-rising)
1/2 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder, preferably Rumford
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar (to 1/2 cup)
1 1/4 cup milk (fat-free works fine)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (can cut to 1/4 cup if desired)
2 large eggs

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400, placing pans in oven while it heats. I use 2 cast iron stick pans, 1 cast aluminum stick pan, and 1 non-stick scone pan, as seen above.
Blend dry ingredients in large bowl. Blend milk, oil, and eggs, and add to dry ingredients. Blend till all is combined.
Remove hot pans from the oven one at a time, and slip a small amount of Crisco or bacon grease (say about 1/4 tsp or so) into each stick form, brushing it to cover all surfaces well. Place back in oven for a few minutes - you want these puppies HOT. Remove pan from oven, set on heat-proof surface, and, using a tablespoon from your silverware drawer, put a generous spoonful of batter into each form. You should have enough batter for 24 cornsticks and 8 thin crusty wedges.
Bake at 400 until golden brown on the tops, about 15 minutes for the sticks and about 20 minutes for the wedges. (If you prefer, bake the whole recipe in a 9-inch cast iron skillet for about 30 minutes and just cut into wedges to serve.) To remove from pans, gently ease the tines of a fork under the edges of the cornstick and carefully pry up. If you preheated your pan well and greased it right, it should pop right out. Serve with pinto beans and fried taters, BBQ, or just with a cold glass of sweet milk.

Also you can check, www.nationalcornbread.com winning recipes going back several years.

Finally, www.lodgemfg.com has a basic cornbread recipe on their site.

Good luck, Captain sir.

Have you ever made keri's recipe? Think I could substitute a spoonful of yellow cake mix in there?
Could I also add some corn without screwing up the recipe?

To be really honest with you Cap, I have never heard of anyone adding yellow cake mix to their cornbread recipe, corn yes; cake mix, not so much.

I have not made her recipe. Also, there are about 20 recipes for cornbread on TVWB in the Sides Section, just do a search for cornbread.

Thanks, found a recipe on the cornbread page that looked right for me and made it. Pretty close to what I want. Texture about perfect, I can tweak the flavors, thanks.

here she goes..

Sour Cream Cornbread

Cornbread Alley 2002

1 ¼ C Martha White Self Rising Cornmeal
2 Tbs Baking Powder
1 C Cream Style Corn
1 8 oz carton Sour Cream
2 Eggs
½ C Corn Oil

Combine corn, sour cream, eggs and corn oil. Mix well. Combine corn meal and baking powder. Stir into corn mixture. Pour into a greased 10-inch iron skillet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

I didn't use Martha White. Again next time I will add sugar and minced
onions. probably chilis too.

OK - this thread reminds me of an old question I don't know the answer to:

What's the difference between Cornbread and Johnny Cake? When I was growing up, my mother always made Johnny Cake. I recall it having more texture than Cornbread. So what's the difference?

Also, does anyone have a really good recipe for "Honey corn cake"?

Corn bread has flour,egg,and other ingredients in it to make it a little lighter and rise a bit more and is more fancy as well. The Jonny cake has only cornmeal and is very plain and course. Not all folks like a real Jonny cake these days. Try it if your a real cornmeal fan. I likem with butter milk and medium grind cornmeal. Use "Bobs Red Mill" or "Hogsons Mill" brands.
If you can't find a recipe let me know and I'll post the one I like.

Zilla

ahh. OK. Actually I prefer Johnny Cake. I like Bob's Red Mill as well. My Mum used to serve us rough JohnnyCake with home-canned jam and butter. MM Mmmm good.

Here's a failry different Cornbread recipe from the California Raisins Website

Raisin Corn Bread

* 1-1/4 cups stone ground cornmeal
* 3/4 cup all purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
* 1 cup California raisins

* 2 large eggs
* 2/3 cup milk
* 2/3 cup buttermilk
* 3 tablespoons warm, melted butter

PROCEDURE

Preheat oven to 425°F. Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in seperate mixing bowls; mix well. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until moistened. Pour batter into prepared 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 425°F.

They have this paired with a Pulled Pork recipe and advise using it to make pulled pork sandwiches. I dunno about that. However, I am gonna try this recipe later today.

Back
Top Bottom