Jasmine Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalterSC

Head Chef
Anybody know what this is and how to make it ?? I have heard this on 3 different BBQ boards but no one has said how they make Jasmine rice??

WalterSC said:
Anybody know what this is and how to make it ?? I have heard this on 3 different BBQ boards but no one has said how they make Jasmine rice??
It's a long-grain white rice grown in Thailand. It's what Thai restaurants serve. Very nice flavor, texture, and fragrance. You can usually find it in the supermarket with Asian foods. A rice cooker makes it perfect.

--John

Unity said:
WalterSC said:
It's a long-grain white rice grown in Thailand. It's what Thai restaurants serve. Very nice flavor, texture, and fragrance. You can usually find it in the supermarket with Asian foods. A rice cooker makes it perfect.

--John

Yeah what John said. It is good and comes out consistently good even without a rice cooker. It's not as starchy as regular rice.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I prefer Basmati rice myself. Has a great nutty flavor and a little more texture than Jasmine. But that's just me.

I too prefer Basmati over Jasmine. Usually cheaper too, depending on where you buy it. 8)

DATsBBQ said:
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I prefer Basmati rice myself. Has a great nutty flavor and a little more texture than Jasmine. But that's just me.
I too prefer Basmati over Jasmine. Usually cheaper too, depending on where you buy it. 8)
They're similar. Basmati grains do not stick together much, Jasmine a little more so. If you're using rice under a curry or similar gravy-like dish, Basmati may be a better choice. If you're just eating rice, I like Jasmine better.

--John

I've been using Jasmine for years and love it. It smells so good while cooking and tastes so good you can really eat it plain. Has kind of a popcorn smell and taste.

Jasmine rice is our go to rice unless doing brown rice. When we do brown rice, I like to throw some thinly sliced garlic in at the beginning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom