Diablo Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[hijack] Sorry, no help here, but I did learn some things. I wasn't aware there's something called diablo sauce. Browsing recipes, I discovered that a sometimes ingredient is worcestershire powder, which was new to me too. And reading about a couple of versions of that, I learned that the first-listed ingredient is corn syrup solids or sugar. I've never registered a sugary taste in worcestershire sauce, which can be reconstituted from the powder by adding vinegar and water -- the vinegar evidently masks the sugar. (Lea & Perrins lists vinegar, molasses, and high fructose sugar as its first 3 ingredients.)

How do you use diablo sauce? [/hijack]

--John 8)

Unity said:
[hijack] Sorry, no help here, but I did learn some things. I wasn't aware there's something called diablo sauce. Browsing recipes, I discovered that a sometimes ingredient is worcestershire powder, which was new to me too. And reading about a couple of versions of that, I learned that the first-listed ingredient is corn syrup solids or sugar. I've never registered a sugary taste in worcestershire sauce, which can be reconstituted from the powder by adding vinegar and water -- the vinegar evidently masks the sugar. (Lea & Perrins lists vinegar, molasses, and high fructose sugar as its first 3 ingredients.)

How do you use diablo sauce? [/hijack]

--John 8)

There is this Mexican place that serves it with shrimp, onions, and bell peppers cooked in and with the sides of rice, beans, and torts. Well, I skip the bell peppers and torts, then get two sides of rice. It's kinda thick... like a puree or something?? So, I then mix the rice in with the stuff. Oh yeah, it is spicy good! I couldn't tell ya on a scale, but it's hotter than a jalapeno. You can order burritos and tacos with the sauce. They might refer to it as a salsa...unsure.

I think it's some type of tomato paste base. I have no clue on the spices other than some type of red pepper.

It looks like there are so many sauces people have called "diablo," you might have to befriend the cook at the Mexican place to get the one you want. :)

--John 8)

Bryan S said:
Helen, I found this one on the foodnetwork. It's from scratch and the Habs make it hot. HTH, Bryan :?

Diablo Sauce:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 shallots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 habanero chilies, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seed
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1/2 mango
1 cup chicken stock
Lime juice and salt to taste

To make sauce, heat oil in a heavy bottomed skillet until lightly smoking. Saute shallots and garlic until light brown. Add chilies, cumin, ginger, and red peppers. Stir about 30 seconds. Add mango and chicken stock. Simmer about 20 minutes. Puree and season with salt and lime juice. Sauce may be used hot or cold.

That might be it or something... looks like I'll be biking to the grocery store soon here. I looked at the ones online...but the ingredients didn't seem right, ya know?

Griff - I've tried already. No luck.

I'll keep you updated.

It took me three stores to find most of the stuff. I went to the carniceria first too. No clue how they could ever be out of habaneros.

Diablo Sauce:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 shallots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped (I put 5)
3 habanero chilies, chopped (I'd go 4 next time)
1 teaspoon cumin seed (next time grind first)
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 red bell peppers, chopped (they were fairly large & I roasted them)
1/2 mango (more like 1/3)
1 cup chicken stock
Lime juice and salt to taste

Just gotta deseed the peppers next time too, thought the Cuisinart would take care of that. Definitely had the heat, but it wasn't it. This is going to make a nice salsa though for chips. The recipe I need has dried chiles instead.

I am actually looking for a recipe called camarones ala/a la diabla. Most of the google searches come up with menus. Yeah, it's hot, but.... I could go hotter :)

I was corrected...diabla instead of diablo, no wonder I couldn't find anything right! If you like shrimp and a really spicy sauce....this is it!

Bryan S said:
Cuevitas Cantina & Grill Camarones a la Diable (Devil's Shrimp) recipe
Source: Mario Muniz Jr., Cuevitas Cantina & Grill, Folsom, California

6 jumbo shrimp
1 cup chile Colorado sauce
1 cup hot salsa
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced bell pepper
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (chile de arbol)
1/8 teaspoon butter

In a medium saucepan, put butter and shrimp over medium heat.

In a separate pan, over medium heat, bring the Colorado sauce, salsa and crushed red peppers to a simmer.

When shrimp is fully cooked add to diabla sauce with vegetables. Bring back to a simmer, stirring ingredients well.

Serve with rice, beans and lots of agua!

Thanks! Found the from scratch recipes in Spanish on the net that I am going to try out too. Six (6) shrimp...are they nuts!?!?! I get a good 15 or so at the Mex place.

This one I'll make some other night:
10 chiles guajillo, (100 g) despepitado y sin semilla
8 chiles morita, (30 g) despepitado y sin semilla
1/2 cucharadita de chile piquín, molido
1 taza vinagre
1/2 taza vinto tinto
2 clavos
1 raja de canela
1/2 cucharada de pimienta
1/2 cucharadita de pimentón
1/2 cucharada de jenijbre
1/2 cucharada de orégano
sal a gusto
Muele todos los ingredientes y cuele. Caliente y sazone.
Rinde: 2 tazas

Back
Top Bottom