Corn dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked this one, only made them once though.

1 quart oil for deep frying
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 pounds hot dogs
wooden sticks

Directions

Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in melted bacon drippings. Make a well in the center, and pour in the egg, buttermilk, and baking soda. Mix until everything is smooth and well blended.
Pat the hot dogs dry with paper towels so that the batter will stick. Insert wooden sticks into the ends. Dip the hot dogs in the batter one at a time, shaking off the excess. Deep fry a few at a time in the hot oil until they are as brown as you like them. Drain on paper towels or serve on paper plates.

Sounds good. Have tried making the things several times over the years but always had trouble with the batter failing to cling very well issue. First I heard of the drying off the weenie deal. Will try these soonish. Thanks for the recipe.

bigwheel said:
Sounds good. Have tried making the things several times over the years but always had trouble with the batter failing to cling very well issue. First I heard of the drying off the weenie deal. Will try these soonish. Thanks for the recipe.

Make it thicker, Also us a large Tumbler of a blender container to put the batter in. This will make it easy to dip the dogs in

Thanks for the tips Boy. Your mighty special. I am purty good on the frozen State Fair brand in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom