Corn Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
I’m looking for a good tried and true tested skillet corn bread recipe. I like the sweeter kind almost like a cake. Does anyone have one they would like to share?
[-o<

Finney said:
I use the Frugal Gourmet's "Johnny Cake" recipe. I've used it for many, many years and is always great. Do a Google search on it.

Hey Chris, a search came up empty. You said you have used it many years, how about posting it!

BigGQ said:
While it is not true homemade, I use a box of Jiffy and add a quater bag of yellow cake mix.
I like the Jiffy and was thinking about adding the cake mix......I'll give that a shot.

I use Jiffy, I find that if you preheat a well seasoned cast skillet in the oven then add the batter it comes out great, Fresh coarsely chopped jalapeno and cheese of your choice is good in my book too. :D

Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:
I use the Frugal Gourmet's "Johnny Cake" recipe. I've used it for many, many years and is always great. Do a Google search on it.

Hey Chris, a search came up empty. You said you have used it many years, how about posting it!

Just in case you didn't find the recipe online.

3/4 cup of flour
1 1/2 cups of cornmeal
4 tps of baking powder
1 tps of salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup salad oil

To make it Johnny Cakes add 2 to 3 tbs of sugar.

Place in a greased 8 x 12 pan and bake in a 400 deg oven for about 30 min.

(Taken from THE FRUGAL GOURMET COOKS AMERICAN by Jeff Smith)

I like to add melted shortning rather than salad oil.

I can't find any quality difference if you use White Lilly Buttermilk Cornbread mix rather than making it from scratch. I follow the recipe on the White Lilly bag except for using a 10 inch pan rather than 8 inch. I also heat the pan ten minutes in a 425 oven before adding the batter. It's easy to add all kinds of ingredients if you adjust the moisture content accordingly IMO. My wife and have experimented using cheese, several different kinds of pepper and onion of course.

PantherTailgater said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Finney said:

Just in case you didn't find the recipe online.

3/4 cup of flour
1 1/2 cups of cornmeal
4 tps of baking powder
1 tps of salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup salad oil

To make it Johnny Cakes add 2 to 3 tbs of sugar.

Place in a greased 8 x 12 pan and bake in a 400 deg oven for about 30 min.

(Taken from THE FRUGAL GOURMET COOKS AMERICAN by Jeff Smith)

I like to add melted shortning rather than salad oil.

I can't find any quality difference if you use White Lilly Buttermilk Cornbread mix rather than making it from scratch. I follow the recipe on the White Lilly bag except for using a 10 inch pan rather than 8 inch. I also heat the pan ten minutes in a 425 oven before adding the batter. It's easy to add all kinds of ingredients if you adjust the moisture content accordingly IMO. My wife and have experimented using cheese, several different kinds of pepper and onion of course.

Thanks Panther, I'd given up on Chris! #-o

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom