Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
I know that the Chili cook offs are huge. While I like chili, it hasn't bit me like the Q bug. Come December 1st, the locals in town are doing a chili cookoff as a benifit for the PTA. So I got to thinking....I got the 25 Habenaro peppers my sister sent me from sunny CA. Perhaps I should enter. There are cash prizes for 1, 2,3 but I doubt they will be large. They haven't posted them yet, guess they are waiting to see how many bowls they can sell!

Anyway, anyone got a chili recipee that is hot and beanless? (I heard that really chili doesn't have beans but can be cooked over gas :LOL: ) Red or green, they didn't specify. I do have a bunch of pulled pork in the freezer.

Well sure do admire your steering some bidness over to the Chili Forum..thats another one of my most favortie hangouts in addition to this place. But I dont think it a good plan to rebuff folks who come on here looking for recipes in the recipes wanted section. That just dont seem very neighborly. So save them Habs for some other noble purpose and cook up a pot like this. Suspect you be the grand prize winner.

bigwheel

Title: Recipe: Sheriff Lon Evans' Famous Jailhouse Chili

Board: Cooking Club at Recipelink.com
MSG ID: 0076657

SHERIFF LON EVANS' FAMOUS JAILHOUSE CHILI

1/8 pound suet, finely chopped (or cooking oil)
3 pounds ground chuck
6 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon crushed cumin seed
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon red pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 quarts water
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup white cornmeal

In Dutch oven, fry suet until crisp; add ground meat and brown.

Add seasonings and water; heat to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

Skim off fat if desired. Stir in cornmeal and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Very good mixed with pinto beans.

Source: Lon Evans, ex-sheriff, Tarrant County, Texas (Fort Worth)

MSG URL: http://www.recipelink.com/gm/0/76657

Pork and Hominy Chili

Pork and hominy chili with bacon and pork shoulder along with hominy, ancho chile peppers, corn, oregano, garlic, and other ingredients.
INGREDIENTS:
• 4 slices smoked bacon
• 2 pounds lean pork shoulder, cut into cubes
• 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) hominy, drained
• 6 dried ancho chiles
• 2 cups canned or cooked corn kernels
PREPARATION:
In a large Dutch oven or heavy kettle over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and set aside to drain. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat; add pork cubes. Cook and stir until pork is browned.
Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is tender. Crumble bacon and add to pork mixture along with chili powder, oregano, cumin, chicken broth and hominy. Bring to a boil.
Wash ancho peppers; remove stems and seeds. Cut up and add to pork mixture. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours, adding more chicken broth or water if needed. Add corn and heat through. Serve with flour tortillas.

Well I figgered you young whuppersnappers prob never heard of suet let alone know birds like to eat it too..I just sub it out for some Crisco. Ya know that suet was how McD's won all the awards for the best tasting fries in fast food land? Guv'ment finally nagged out em enough to make em stop...and that aint been too long ago. The stuff is delicious but tends to plug your arteries according to the current psudoscience which passes for medical science these days. My granny and grandpa used to eat hawg lard out of the bucket with a spoon and lived to a ripe old age. You see where I'm headed here?

bigwheel

DATsBBQ said:
The Chili site is a great site. I took a look see at site and there is a recipe that tempts me.

http://www.mfbb.net/chiliforum/chiliforum-about348.html

BW, yours is tempting too. Suet? We call that bird food around these parts, so I'd have to go with the oil. :?

artery blocking cholesterol overload.

And darn good stuff.

I think my Dr. would have a heart attack if he saw this.

Remember that when doing a cookoff ... a good chili doesn't cause pain...but rather it's a nice myriad of flavors from the taste of the meat cooked in the right way (to flavorful tenderness being slowly simmered in a spicy gravy), and a nice blend of real freshly ground chile's... and that's it.

Granted comp chili is usually more kicked up and rather salty, but if you wanna give pain...save it for yourself and for your friends. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom