Big Wheel's Hot Links

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://forum.texasbbqrub.com/showthread.php?t=28478

This is Big Dave's Recipe. I skip the Prauge Powder and salt instead using Mortons TQ at the rate of 1 1/2 tsp. per pound of meat. Meat ration 2 bone in butts, 3 lbs bacon ends and pieces, 5 pounds 80/20 beef chuck. Will scare the heck out of a 20 pound batch. Also throw a beer in there with it. Really wakes up the spices.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
http://forum.texasbbqrub.com/showthread.php?t=28478

This is Big Dave's Recipe. I skip the Prauge Powder and salt instead using Mortons TQ at the rate of 1 1/2 tsp. per pound of meat. Meat ration 2 bone in butts, 3 lbs bacon ends and pieces, 5 pounds 80/20 beef chuck. Will scare the heck out of a 20 pound batch. Also throw a beer in there with it. Really wakes up the spices.

bigwheel

Thanks Jeff. Will give it a try. Talked to Oompapy a week or so ago and he said it was great stuff.

Pigs

Last time I used only 5 lbs of ground meat with
the same amount of everything else except I added
extra cayenne. Mo Betta IMO

This is the one I've got...

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton's Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer
and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meat
to fit in the grinder.
Pour the spiced beer over the meat and mix well.
Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate
and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings.
Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in
a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy.

BW, why do you use Tenderquick in a fresh sausage? I thought the TQ or Prague powder w/salt had to have some time to work. :? :?

oompappy said:
Last time I used only 5 lbs of ground meat with
the same amount of everything else except I added
extra cayenne. Mo Betta IMO

This is the one I've got...

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer
and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meat
to fit in the grinder.
Pour the spiced beer over the meat and mix well.
Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate
and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings.
Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in
a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy.

Thanks Tim!

Chris
aka Pigs

Well on sausage you thouroughly mix the outside of the meat which is full of evil microscopic bugs with the inside of the meat which in a large uncut chunk o meat would normally be sorta safe. Nitrates n Trites supposed to help kill the bugs. Now I aint got any problemos for them who want to skip the cure..have done it myself many times but usually only with Brats cuz they dont normally come visibly cured..even though they are making them cured and fully cooked nowadays. I aint much into Eyetalian sausage neither but I would surely skip the cure on that one too. In fact I made some a time or two for other folks and it was not cured. Skipping the cure will just make them gray on the inside instead pink. Pink was the kind I always got back in the good old days..so I like it like that:) Sure it be mo healthier for a person to skip the cure. In fact the warden has been trying to feed me uncured bacon and such other non sense here recently. That save a person from getting a big old Kanser ya know? Cant tell much difference flavor wise. It purty yummy.

bigwheel

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Any one have the recipe? I looked but can't find it.
FAIL!

Pigs

Bit late but here it is all its glory.
6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer and place in refrigerator
while you cut up the meat to fit in the grinder. Pour the spiced beer over
the meat and mix well. Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy.
I omit the msg.

Hey Dat's. How you been Senor? Glad to see your smiling prose on the cyber page yet again finally.

Jeff, I'll be better when the insurance check arrives to correct what you see in my avatar. BTW, that Ft Wurth tap water, well its better than the tap water on the island. Know that I've been spoiled by Rocky Mountain Spring water, complete with all the minerals a growing boy needs like iron, uranium and felspar.

Greg, I'm still alive and kicking. No plans to check out any time soon. I stopped by to update my email and say this post. Knew I could lend a hand so I did.

Well having a little eye trouble on the avatar. Looks sorta like a broke vase with a lump o coal in it. House fire maybe? How did you manage to wind up in Galveston? Hope you have a great Veteran's Day.

bigwheel said:
Well having a little eye trouble on the avatar. Looks sorta like a broke vase with a lump o coal in it. House fire maybe? How did you manage to wind up in Galveston? Hope you have a great Veteran's Day.

The long and short of it is that the Mrs transferred from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA - the weather service and global warming folks) to the US Army Corps of Engineers here in Galveston. They paid for the move, better promotion potential for her and I don't have to deal with snow. It was a no brainer to tell the truth. My Kamado that had traveled 1,200 miles and decended 7,000 feet only to be dropped by the movers less than 25 feet from where he was gonna be set up. We're living 4 blocks from the Gulf on one side and 7 blocks from the Bay on the other. So far, so good.

Ok gotcha. Deepest condolences on the pit. Heard them things can act like Humpty Humpty if they happen to decelerate rapidly. You gonna have some rough duty down there at Galveston..especially during Mardis Gras. Nekked lady's running ever whichaway I heard. Now if you play your cards right you should be able to summer up in the cool country and get back to the Ocean in time to shield your eyes from the nudity types. lol

Dat's thanks for the explanation on the avatar I was racking my brain to figure out what it was. Sorry for your luck there, that's an expensive mistake on the movers.

Well I hate to admit it..but what Nick said too:) Meant to say on the opening salvo hearty congrats to Mama on the nice promotion. Sure wished I could get the Warden motivated to go find some gainful employment. She has too much free time on her hands to make sure I don't have much fun..sniff sniff. What kinda guest facilities are we looking out there in Galveston? Is there room to park a Class C MH? Maybe a 50 amp breaker and a sewer connection..cable TV hook up etc? Kindly keeps us posted. Thanks.

bigwheel said:
Well I hate to admit it..but what Nick said too:) Meant to say on the opening salvo hearty congrats to Mama on the nice promotion. Sure wished I could get the Warden motivated to go find some gainful employment. She has too much free time on her hands to make sure I don't have much fun..sniff sniff. What kinda guest facilities are we looking out there in Galveston? Is there room to park a Class C MH? Maybe a 50 amp breaker and a sewer connection..cable TV hook up etc? Kindly keeps us posted. Thanks.
BW while you are asking don't forget about Wifi, you need to stay connected :LOL:

Ahh yes on the Wifi deal. Can't survive without a compooter to play on. Sure Dat's get that all rigged up pretty easy. A cement parking slab for the camper would be nice too huh?

Back
Top Bottom